WVSXSRIDERS.COM / WVTRAILRIDERS.COM
Thanks for visiting us! Check out our forum here and on HotRodForums.net. Visit us on www.JBSPerformance.com for ultimate performance parts and accessories for your SXS !!

WVSXSRIDERS.COM / WVTRAILRIDERS.COM

wv trail riding on side by sides

HomeBannerRegisterLog inVideos

Latest topics
» Welch area
July 18th 2018, 7:16 pm by Rick_308

» Gates on trails
July 1st 2018, 3:15 pm by CanAmDude

» Ol Henrys Camping retreat
May 24th 2018, 2:33 pm by mikec

» Creston Poker run
April 22nd 2018, 9:50 am by Rick_308

» Spearhead trails GPX files?
April 21st 2018, 7:06 pm by Pattersonrick

» 2 way radio
April 20th 2018, 2:18 pm by kymedic

» Riding in Boone and Logan WV
March 24th 2018, 11:09 am by kman23

» 2018 SPRING RIDE CHARITY
March 18th 2018, 7:54 pm by keeter

» interco tires
March 16th 2018, 8:28 am by Timmi

Who is online?
In total there are 24 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 24 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 252 on August 7th 2016, 8:56 pm
Top posters
Bobby D

bubba53

rayray

WV Hot Rod Rhino

shawn

Hump

pit dog

Jet

big g

simoniz

Top posting users this month
CanAmDude

Rick_308

Most active topic starters
bubba53

Bobby D

WV Hot Rod Rhino

JimBob

ElmoEOD

punder

Finzup

neuromax

rayray

Steve K

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Share | 

The most worn out question..(research)

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Bullittproof

Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2013-10-15

PostSubject: The most worn out question..(research)   October 16th 2013, 1:38 pm

I know these questions have been asked a million times about which sport sxs to buy, but I can never trust people's opinions on forums nationally. I say I don't trust them only because they don't always ride the terrain/trails we do here in WV. Im trying to decide between Maverick, 800s or Xc, rzr 900, and lately started considering the wildcat. Although I've never been a big fan of anything cat built. Everyone ends up bringing up the topic of "too wide" but I wanted your guys opinions on what's actually too wide to ride around here. You guys know the trails. Also I want your guys pros and cons opinions on all of the following. Reliability is important to me. Myself and the gf are both fans of speed and power. I also do not plan on swamping whatever it is I buy, I'm all for mud but not intentionally burying my machine. Jumps are always a blast for me too. Sorry to throw so many questions at once. Not sure if it really matters or not but also keep in mind that I'm 6'4.
Back to top Go down
Timmi

Number of posts : 1609
Registration date : 2012-11-25

PostSubject: Re: The most worn out question..(research)   October 16th 2013, 2:01 pm

all the ones you mention other than the rzr xc are around 62"-64" wide, most any trail can accommodate that.at your height, the rzr is going to be tight. for speed and power it will be the maverick or the 900 rzr, the wildcat is for the ride because it has the long travel suspension. reliability, the owner of each brand will say theirs is the best. between those three brands, none have a great advantage because each wears different parts. going fast will wear stuff out quicker no matter what you ride.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jbshotrodperformance.com/
Ron(09rzr)

Number of posts : 1149
Registration date : 2011-03-09

PostSubject: Re: The most worn out question..(research)   October 16th 2013, 2:05 pm

Personally i am a fan of 800 or 900 rzr...after looking at an xp1000 i wouldnt even consider it for 20k...they all have their ups and downs...after seeing the xp1000 i am becomming more of a maverick fan myself....but i love my 800 and 900xp rzr... sorry i had this posted on another tread also..
My 800 has over 4000 miles on it...been thru a few bearings n bushings...nuttin too crazy..3 starters...other than that it has been pretty reliable..
My 900 xp has 900- 1000 miles on it with no issues yet...knock on wood...
I had seen some where where they had a maverick xc which is basically a maverick but is 60 inches wide...we ride wv a lot and never hsd any isues with width...
Back to top Go down
Bullittproof

PostSubject: Re: The most worn out question..(research)   October 16th 2013, 2:07 pm

A big thing for me is wearing out ball joints, wheel bearings, etc. like crazy. They all seem to have pretty dependable motors anymore so that's not so much of an issue. And all seem to have pretty decent suspension also.
Back to top Go down
Ron(09rzr)

Number of posts : 1149
Registration date : 2011-03-09

PostSubject: Re: The most worn out question..(research)   October 16th 2013, 2:14 pm

I dunno...i clean my to the point that my wife tells me i am ocd....i clean my rzrs i take the bed and rockers off...i pull all my bushings and clean them well grease the snot out of them put it all back together..i remove the bolts for tie rod ends and grease them...shoot grease down into my ball joints..remove the shocks and lube the pivot points good...
When my xp went to get oil change at dealer they pulled it out on the floor next to a 30 mile demo and mine looked better....maybe i am easier on stuff...maybe its the way i clean it..i dunno but i have had decent luck...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The most worn out question..(research)   October 16th 2013, 2:33 pm

Don't apologize for asking questions here. We all love too talk about our machines and this site is not one to tell you to "use the search button". I have only been around a few month but it's a great group of people.
I think reliability between the brands is going to be pretty even and has more to do with maintenance or the lack of it then the machine itself and of course driving habits. It boils down to take care of your machine and it will take care of you. I went with the Wildcat because of the suspension and from comments others had made that ride the same trails I do. I like the low center of gravity and never having that "I'm about ready to tip over" feeling. The WC feels very stable. I have the base WC and I think it has more than enough power for the trails I ride. The WC X certainly has more power, but I just don't really see a need for it in WV.
Back to top Go down
Bobby D

Number of posts : 14579
Registration date : 2009-02-08

PostSubject: Re: The most worn out question..(research)   October 16th 2013, 3:42 pm

I agree with the Arctic Cat comment I have never liked anything they have built until the Wildcat came out.I think for what you can buy one for since they come with power steering and the most suspension travel and the way the frame is made it's the best bang for the buck and why I bought one.I have owned 2 800 RZR's and hated the maintenance on them down to the pain in the ass of the oil filter location and and air filter is also a pain IMO & having the added trans fluid to change.I would buy a 900 RZR over a 800 because of a better design I just don't like the higher seat height in the 900.Maverick rides good but still I feel like it bucks from the short wheel base compared to the Wildcat and the seat height is to tall for my liking and the price vs what a Wildcat can be bought for.I love the feeling of sitting down in a machine instead of riding high in the seat. 

My 2 cents  
 Try to drive them all before you buy as I did and buy what you think you will be most happier with because they all are a lot of money
Back to top Go down
http://www.wvsxsriders.com
Bullittproof

PostSubject: Re: The most worn out question..(research)   October 16th 2013, 3:52 pm

Im glad you mentioned the maintenance concerns of the rzr, didn't know about those. I definitely want to drive them all. I have access to drive the rzrs, and potentially a maverick (if my cousin from parcs could help me out). Unfortunately I know nobody with a wildcat or a maverick. They are all Polaris fan-boys.
Back to top Go down
Bullittproof

PostSubject: Re: The most worn out question..(research)   October 16th 2013, 6:05 pm

Just saw an all black wildcat.....Finally a color scheme i like
Back to top Go down
Timmi

PostSubject: Re: The most worn out question..(research)   October 16th 2013, 6:35 pm

Bullittproof wrote:
Im glad you mentioned the maintenance concerns of the rzr, didn't know about those. I definitely want to drive them all. I have access to drive the rzrs, and potentially a maverick (if my cousin from parcs could help me out). Unfortunately I know nobody with a wildcat or a maverick. They are all Polaris fan-boys.
they're not bad, a arm bushings and tie rod ends, replace them with upgrade aftermarket, you won't have any problems
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The most worn out question..(research)   October 16th 2013, 7:53 pm

I would research and go look at them all. U will get a feeling what you like and what you don't. I drove them all. The maverick has the best ride and power of them all. I know a lot of guys here like the wildcat ride but it just won't turn and when I drove it I thought it was one of the roughest rides. Not as rough as a 900rzr or an 800.  Width is not an issue where we ride. You said u liked power. For that I would look at the RZR 1000 and the maverick XRS. They both have power steering and comfy cabins. I ran both of them and they are very close. They are the top two machines on the market. Polaris has some ball joint, bushing, and tie rod ends issues but from what I hear they have solved that on the new 1000.

I know everyone has their brand and here it's def BRP. Knock on wood I have never had any issues and rotax makes some of the most reliable power out there. 

Yamaha will be the most reliable out there. They are going to be built the best.

They all have quirks so just read up and go look at the ones u like. Heck look at them all. When you see it you will know what you want. Good luck and were here for u.
Back to top Go down
Bullittproof

PostSubject: Re: The most worn out question..(research)   October 16th 2013, 8:08 pm

Oh yea, forgot to mention money is also a factor, I won't let myself pay 20k+ for a rzr1000. From riding in a 900, I can say that it's plenty of power for me realistically. It's plenty capable of power slides, which I think the 800 lacks the quick hit for it. From riding in the 800 in the woods it seems like the power is plenty adequate for the trail, but I feel like I would be disappointed when I got into the open spots.
Back to top Go down
Bullittproof

PostSubject: Re: The most worn out question..(research)   October 16th 2013, 8:09 pm

And as long as there is reliable replacement parts for the rzrs (ball joints, tie rods, etc.) that wouldn't bother me as much.
Back to top Go down
Timmi

PostSubject: Re: The most worn out question..(research)   October 16th 2013, 8:12 pm

Bullittproof wrote:
And as long as there is reliable replacement parts for the rzrs (ball joints, tie rods, etc.) that wouldn't bother me as much.
the thing that sticks in my mind is that you said you like power and going fast. for that it has to be the mav or the 900
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The most worn out question..(research)   October 16th 2013, 8:12 pm

That 900 is a great machine. I have never heard anyone say anything bad about the 900 or it's tranny. You may have to put some aftermarket bushings and tie rod ends but that's it. I had one and it didn't ride as good as the maverick but u could change the shocks on it and you would be good to go.
Back to top Go down
Rick S

Number of posts : 2791
Registration date : 2012-02-19

PostSubject: Re: The most worn out question..(research)   October 16th 2013, 9:24 pm

I got wildcat and xp900 like both the wildcat has the best ride
Back to top Go down
Bullittproof

PostSubject: Re: The most worn out question..(research)   October 16th 2013, 9:29 pm

Good point about the power....I cant help but want to go fast when I get te chance...the gf seems to not even consider the 800 anyway... She's only ridden in a 900 and I think that's sticking in her mind as to what a sport sxs should be...maybe she just wants me to spend more money lol... But I liked the 900 I rode in, and I've been dying to get a ride in a maverick. Love the looks, and build quality....see you guys are already helping!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The most worn out question..(research)   October 16th 2013, 9:33 pm

U will love that maverick.  It does ride better than a rzr and it has a lot more power. 

Just check them both out. There all fun machines anymore
Back to top Go down
Finzup

Number of posts : 2037
Registration date : 2009-07-13

PostSubject: Re: The most worn out question..(research)   October 16th 2013, 9:37 pm

Best bang for the buck is an 800S.  Great handling trail machine, tons of aftermarket parts, affordable and fast enough to hang with anyone.  Rides rough, yeah.  High maintenance, yeah, if you ride like we do.  Maybe too cramped for your frame.  I'd throw out the XC.  Nice looking but not worth the $ compared to the 'S'.  'S's are out-selling the 900 at least in some parts of the country according to posts in other forums.  I think they'll get real cheap(used 900s) if the 1000 is the big success we think it will be. I hear a lot of good stuff about the Maverick. And, you may want to wait to see the Wildcat 50".
Back to top Go down
Bullittproof

PostSubject: Re: The most worn out question..(research)   October 16th 2013, 9:38 pm

Talked to my cousin from the local dealer about a ride in a maverick, she doesn't think it'll happen :( other than the clutch and starter recall, was there any other issues with the Mav?
Back to top Go down
Timmi

PostSubject: Re: The most worn out question..(research)   October 16th 2013, 9:38 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwlOFa96nDo

as you can see they are both fast
Back to top Go down
Bullittproof

PostSubject: Re: The most worn out question..(research)   October 16th 2013, 9:43 pm

They Are definitely both fast....I'm personally open to the 800, but the gf doesn't seem very interested in one at all. Fortunately it's mostly my day since its my payment, but I have to keep her interested. The fact that 900's are getting down into 800s territory used tho has me saying why not get bigger. Like I said I love the look and finish of a commander though. Although I've heard they love to chug premium fuel
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The most worn out question..(research)   October 16th 2013, 9:45 pm

I don't think there were any more. I swear I want to say there may of been a recall on a grab handle but I could be wrong. The only recall I had was the clutch bolt. I never had a problem with it but I let them do it. I didn't have a starter recall.

Finz is right. Number one selling side by side is a rzr s. Polaris is number one in sales. Can am in the 2 spot
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The most worn out question..(research)   October 16th 2013, 9:47 pm

Brp chugging fuel? Heck no. I had one and a maverick.  They get such good fuel mileage that you don't have to carry extra gas. I could do 2 day rides on a tank of fuel on my commander. My polaris's I had to carry fuel to make it back to the trailer
Back to top Go down
Timmi

PostSubject: Re: The most worn out question..(research)   October 16th 2013, 9:49 pm

Bullittproof wrote:
They Are definitely both fast....I'm personally open to the 800, but the gf doesn't seem very interested in one at all. Fortunately it's mostly my day since its my payment, but I have to keep her interested. The fact that 900's are getting down into 800s territory used tho has me saying why not get bigger. Like I said I love the look and finish of a commander though. Although I've heard they love to chug premium fuel
what you say about the price is true and the 900 is light years ahead of the 800 in engine and cvt, plus the suspension
Back to top Go down
Bullittproof

PostSubject: Re: The most worn out question..(research)   October 16th 2013, 10:34 pm

good new in the recalls, and i could care less about a grab handle recall. I accidentally said commander when I meant to say Maverick. The build quality on all of the can ams seems to be excellent though. As far as motors, ive heard the motors are excellent as well, my buddys old 650 bombardier has been a tank for years.
Back to top Go down
Bullittproof

PostSubject: Re: The most worn out question..(research)   October 16th 2013, 10:35 pm

Im searching used prices on mavericks and 900s now for comparison, and motivation of course
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The most worn out question..(research)   October 16th 2013, 11:02 pm

I have 4190 miles on original ball joints and wheel bearings and I have rode the hell out of mine and just as fast as the next one in the woods
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The most worn out question..(research)   October 16th 2013, 11:03 pm

Brand new Wildcats out the door for 13,700 orange and green to choose from
Back to top Go down
bcfatvs

Number of posts : 282
Registration date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: The most worn out question..(research)   October 16th 2013, 11:19 pm

IMO I would stay clear of a  RZR 800 XC, because it is nothing more than a 50" RZR with nice shocks and some nice wheels with a little bit of offset to make it 55". The biggest downfall of the standard RZR is that it only has 9.5" of suspension travel with relatively short A-arms that are no bigger than an average big bore atv. The RZR S and all the way up to the Mavericks, Wildcats and XP 1000s have any where between 12" to 18" of suspension travel. This gives them a far superior ride and handling characteristic than a basic RZR. You could put the best shocks that money could buy on a 50" RZR and it would still never be in the same league as the side by sides I just listed above.If you get an 800 S or a 900, I would suggest getting some doors to give it a little more room beside your legs. They are all good and have there pros and cons and occasionally you'll get a lemon in the bunch. But I would stay clear of a standard 800 RZR
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The most worn out question..(research)   

Back to top Go down

The most worn out question..(research)
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
WVSXSRIDERS.COM / WVTRAILRIDERS.COM :: General Chat :: Technical and Mod Section-
Jump to: