WV SXS RIDERS / WVTRAILRIDERS.COM
Thanks for visiting us! Check out our forum here and on HotRodForums.net. Visit us on www.JBSPerformance.com for ultimate performance parts and accessories for your SXS !!
Thanks for visiting us! Check out our forum here and on HotRodForums.net. Visit us on www.JBSPerformance.com for ultimate performance parts and accessories for your SXS !!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

wv trail riding on side by sides

HomeBannerLatest imagesRegisterLog inVideos
Trip to WVA from Chicago in July 2010WVSXSRIDERSSpringRide133
Trip to WVA from Chicago in July 2010WVSXSRIDERSSpringRide131
Trip to WVA from Chicago in July 2010WVSXSRIDERSSpringRide136
Trip to WVA from Chicago in July 2010WVSXSRIDERSSpringRide140
Trip to WVA from Chicago in July 2010WVSXSRIDERSSpringRide148
Trip to WVA from Chicago in July 2010WVSXSRIDERSSpringRide121
Trip to WVA from Chicago in July 2010WVSXSRIDERSSpringRide161
Trip to WVA from Chicago in July 2010WVSXSRIDERSSpringRide186
Trip to WVA from Chicago in July 2010WVSXSRIDERSSpringRide190
Trip to WVA from Chicago in July 2010WVSXSRIDERSSpringRide126
Trip to WVA from Chicago in July 2010WVSXSRIDERSSpringRide194
Trip to WVA from Chicago in July 2010WVSXSRIDERSSpringRide195
Trip to WVA from Chicago in July 2010WVSXSRIDERSSpringRide197
Trip to WVA from Chicago in July 2010WVSXSRIDERSSpringRide217
Trip to WVA from Chicago in July 2010WVSXSRIDERSSpringRide221
Trip to WVA from Chicago in July 2010WVSXSRIDERSSpringRide229
Trip to WVA from Chicago in July 2010WVSXSRIDERSSpringRide234
Trip to WVA from Chicago in July 2010WVSXSRIDERSSpringRide253
Trip to WVA from Chicago in July 2010WVSXSRIDERSSpringRide256
Trip to WVA from Chicago in July 2010WVSXSRIDERSSpringRide258
Trip to WVA from Chicago in July 2010WVSXSRIDERSSpringRide276
Trip to WVA from Chicago in July 2010WVSXSRIDERSSpringRide280
Trip to WVA from Chicago in July 2010WVSXSRIDERSSpringRide287
Trip to WVA from Chicago in July 2010WVSXSRIDERSSpringRide159
Trip to WVA from Chicago in July 2010WVSXSRIDERSSpringRide293
Trip to WVA from Chicago in July 2010WVSXSRIDERSSpringRide299
Trip to WVA from Chicago in July 2010WVSXSRIDERSSpringRide305
Trip to WVA from Chicago in July 2010WVSXSRIDERSSpringRide315
Trip to WVA from Chicago in July SpringRider10007
Trip to WVA from Chicago in July SpringRider10010
Trip to WVA from Chicago in July SpringRider10018
Trip to WVA from Chicago in July SpringRider10011
Trip to WVA from Chicago in July SpringRider10030
Trip to WVA from Chicago in July SpringRider10036
Trip to WVA from Chicago in July SpringRider10055
Trip to WVA from Chicago in July 2010WVSXSRIDERSSpringRide119
Trip to WVA from Chicago in July SpringRider10057

Trip to WVA from Chicago in July 100_3508
Trip to WVA from Chicago in July 100_3512
Trip to WVA from Chicago in July 100_3524
Trip to WVA from Chicago in July 100_3525
Trip to WVA from Chicago in July 100_3528
Trip to WVA from Chicago in July 100_3572
Trip to WVA from Chicago in July 100_3554
Trip to WVA from Chicago in July 100_3538
Trip to WVA from Chicago in July 100_3534

Trip to WVA from Chicago in July 106_6005-vi
Trip to WVA from Chicago in July 106_6098-vi
Trip to WVA from Chicago in July Dscf1320
Trip to WVA from Chicago in July Dscf1321
Trip to WVA from Chicago in July Dscf1322
Trip to WVA from Chicago in July Springride2010004
Trip to WVA from Chicago in July Springride2010005
Trip to WVA from Chicago in July Springride2010006
Trip to WVA from Chicago in July Springride2010008
Trip to WVA from Chicago in July Springride2010013
Trip to WVA from Chicago in July Springride2010020
Trip to WVA from Chicago in July Springride2010021
Trip to WVA from Chicago in July Springride2010022
Trip to WVA from Chicago in July Springride2010026
Trip to WVA from Chicago in July Springride2010030
Trip to WVA from Chicago in July Springride2010031

Trip to WVA from Chicago in July Springride2010049

Trip to WVA from Chicago in July NewYears201012-31-09037

Trip to WVA from Chicago in July Springride2010032

Latest topics
» Happy Thanksgiving
Trip to WVA from Chicago in July Icon_minitimeOctober 9th 2021, 9:07 pm by Timmi

» 2020 JBS Fall Ride
Trip to WVA from Chicago in July Icon_minitimeSeptember 27th 2020, 11:26 am by Timmi

» 5 points/ Wallace wv
Trip to WVA from Chicago in July Icon_minitimeJuly 14th 2020, 9:22 am by Timmi

» Wildcat
Trip to WVA from Chicago in July Icon_minitimeMay 10th 2020, 6:29 pm by Timmi

» Released a new WV ATV Trails Map
Trip to WVA from Chicago in July Icon_minitimeApril 13th 2020, 1:59 pm by richrzr714

» 2019 JBS Spring Ride
Trip to WVA from Chicago in July Icon_minitimeFebruary 21st 2020, 8:09 am by Timmi

» 2014 rzr 800 fuel pump don't come on and motor will not turn over
Trip to WVA from Chicago in July Icon_minitimeApril 10th 2019, 12:32 pm by John

» Apologies
Trip to WVA from Chicago in July Icon_minitimeJanuary 3rd 2019, 11:52 pm by Carolinarhino

» Creston Poker Run
Trip to WVA from Chicago in July Icon_minitimeOctober 10th 2018, 11:35 pm by Bubbaz

Who is online?
In total there are 80 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 80 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 650 on November 11th 2021, 8:48 am
Top posters
Bobby D
Trip to WVA from Chicago in July Vote_lcapTrip to WVA from Chicago in July Voting_barTrip to WVA from Chicago in July Vote_rcap 
bubba53
Trip to WVA from Chicago in July Vote_lcapTrip to WVA from Chicago in July Voting_barTrip to WVA from Chicago in July Vote_rcap 
rayray
WV Hot Rod Rhino
shawn
Hump
pit dog
Jet
big g
simoniz
Top posting users this month
No user
Most active topic starters
bubba53
Bobby D
WV Hot Rod Rhino
JimBob
ElmoEOD
punder
Finzup
neuromax
rayray
Steve K
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Trip to WVA from Chicago in July

Go down 
+6
page75
bluesbass
bstouffer
BobT
Timmi
Durasmack
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Durasmack

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2015-06-08

Trip to WVA from Chicago in July Empty
PostSubject: Trip to WVA from Chicago in July   Trip to WVA from Chicago in July Icon_minitimeJune 8th 2015, 11:03 am

Hey All!
I'm planning a trip to the HM trails in July. There are 8 or 9 of us coming from Chicagoland.
So far, we've booked a few cabins at Big Earl's which is close to the Little Coal River trail system.
I see lotsa people on here recommend staying near or in Ashland due to ease of trail access.
Are we going to have problems accessing other trail systems if we stay at Big Earls in Julian, WV?
I picked Julian as it appears to be the norther most access to the trail system, so coming from Chicago, already a 10 hour drive, didn't want to go the extra 2.5 hours to Ashland.
Thoughts from the experts?
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Trip to WVA from Chicago in July   Trip to WVA from Chicago in July Icon_minitimeJune 8th 2015, 11:09 am

Im not sure on this one. I haven't been that far north. Im sure some other members on here will chime in on this. You will love your time on HM though. Its the best riding area in the world
Back to top Go down
Timmi

Timmi

Number of posts : 1623
Registration date : 2012-11-25

PostSubject: Re: Trip to WVA from Chicago in July   Trip to WVA from Chicago in July Icon_minitimeJune 8th 2015, 12:27 pm

the reason people say go to Ashland is that you can ride 3 trail systems plus outlaw trails if you know them. coal river and Ivy branch are close together but far from the other trail systems. the trails are generally tougher there than the 3 at Ashland. even the black trails down there aren't real challenging.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jbshotrodperformance.com/
Durasmack

PostSubject: Re: Trip to WVA from Chicago in July   Trip to WVA from Chicago in July Icon_minitimeJune 8th 2015, 2:23 pm

Thanks much for the responses.
Any other input would be great.
I assume that we will need to cook dinner at the camp most night, planning to cook breakfast and dinner, and find somewhere to eat along the trails.
Back to top Go down
BobT

BobT

Number of posts : 293
Registration date : 2010-01-31

PostSubject: Re: Trip to WVA from Chicago in July   Trip to WVA from Chicago in July Icon_minitimeJune 8th 2015, 5:24 pm

I have stayed at Big Earl's with several friends.  LCR only has 32 miles of ATV trails which is a half day of riding.  IB has 44 miles of ATV Riding but can take a day.  You can also go over and ride East Lynn which has about 110 miles of trails.  EL is about 1:15 minutes from Big Earls.  
The next closest HM trail is Bearwallow about 40 minutes away and it has 44 miles of ATV trails.  3 of the 4 smallest systems are up north.  Another popular place to stay is in Gilbert, you can ride Rockhouse from there and trailer to Buffalo Mtn or Pinnacle Creek, each of which are about 45 minutes.
From Big Earl's you can go north about 20 minutes to S. Charleston which has everything, you can go south about 20 minutes to Danville and they have a couple of places to eat.  Gilbert and Man have a lot of restaurants.
Back to top Go down
Durasmack

PostSubject: Re: Trip to WVA from Chicago in July   Trip to WVA from Chicago in July Icon_minitimeJune 8th 2015, 5:55 pm

Thank you Bob T. For the info!
How was Big Earls?  Decent place?
Back to top Go down
BobT

BobT

Number of posts : 293
Registration date : 2010-01-31

PostSubject: Re: Trip to WVA from Chicago in July   Trip to WVA from Chicago in July Icon_minitimeJune 8th 2015, 6:06 pm

It is decent but nothing more.  Community shower house.  Hannah did cook a big feast on Fri night that was good, we all gave her 10 bucks.
No where to eat along the trails.  Julian has a gas station with food that is on the way from BE's to IB.

If any of you have a Garmin GPS or Android tablet you can get a map of all these places at:

WV ATV Trails 2015
Back to top Go down
bstouffer

bstouffer

Number of posts : 152
Registration date : 2013-03-19

PostSubject: Re: Trip to WVA from Chicago in July   Trip to WVA from Chicago in July Icon_minitimeJune 8th 2015, 10:00 pm

That area will be ok for your first time . Me personally I don't like little coal , ivy is challenging . Like they said , the Ashland area is the best place to stay . If you can download BobT maps you can really enjoy the outlaw trails.
Back to top Go down
bluesbass

bluesbass

Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Trip to WVA from Chicago in July   Trip to WVA from Chicago in July Icon_minitimeJune 8th 2015, 11:54 pm

I will offer my only experience so far.  Stayed at the Chief Logan Lodge  just off 119 below Charleston (nice hotel like atmosphere with discount for HMT riders) and trailered North about 15 mins to Little Coal.  Pretty easy stuff but nice.  Then trailered South about 35 mins through Logan to Man, WV and road the Rock House trail from Man to Gilbert and back.  Next time, I will try to stay someplace I don't have to trailer.  Lots of options and worth the trip.
Back to top Go down
Durasmack

PostSubject: Re: Trip to WVA from Chicago in July   Trip to WVA from Chicago in July Icon_minitimeJune 9th 2015, 9:36 am

You guys are great.  What a wealth of knowledge on this forum!
I'm glad I found it!
Now you got me wondering if we should just bite the bullet and drive the extra two hours up front as opposed to trailering during the week!
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Trip to WVA from Chicago in July   Trip to WVA from Chicago in July Icon_minitimeJune 9th 2015, 11:22 am

I would. You would love Ashland. Its the nicest campground in the area in my opinion. When you get there you can drive your machine everywhere. Like they said above, its already at the trail heads.
You could stay there for a month and not ride it all. 
Good Luck on your trip wherever you go and hope you have a good time. 

Here is ashland website by the way. atvresort.com
Back to top Go down
page75

page75

Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2013-03-31

PostSubject: Re: Trip to WVA from Chicago in July   Trip to WVA from Chicago in July Icon_minitimeJune 9th 2015, 1:44 pm

I would agree with TBone. The others you have to trailer just to get to other trail heads. The little bit of distance is worth it.
Back to top Go down
bstouffer

bstouffer

Number of posts : 152
Registration date : 2013-03-19

PostSubject: Re: Trip to WVA from Chicago in July   Trip to WVA from Chicago in July Icon_minitimeJune 9th 2015, 3:03 pm

I try and make the trip twice a year and I have stayed at different places and have rode all of the Hatfield trails except two of them. The Ashland area is the heart of it all, I like Black Dog Ranch because it suites my group better but we do spend $$$ at Ashland Resort.
Back to top Go down
whitey2

whitey2

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2014-11-15

PostSubject: Re: Trip to WVA from Chicago in July   Trip to WVA from Chicago in July Icon_minitimeJune 9th 2015, 6:57 pm

I have rode all of the HM trails and Buffalo Mt. is one of my favorites.But since I have been to Ashland it sure is nice to ride 3 or 4 days and not have to trailer. I'm going this weekend and plan on riding some outlaw trails for the first time.
Back to top Go down
pushrod

pushrod

Number of posts : 122
Registration date : 2009-02-12

PostSubject: Re: Trip to WVA from Chicago in July   Trip to WVA from Chicago in July Icon_minitimeJune 9th 2015, 11:17 pm

we live in iowa, 850 miles to Ashland. you wont be sorry for another 2hr. driveing time !!
Back to top Go down
Durasmack

PostSubject: Re: Trip to WVA from Chicago in July   Trip to WVA from Chicago in July Icon_minitimeJune 9th 2015, 11:30 pm

wow, great comments on ashland!  thanks much for the input!
i know this is a WV trail site, but anyone of you guys ever Ride Royal Blue?
just wondering... 10 hours vs 8 hours for us.
Back to top Go down
keeter

keeter

Number of posts : 933
Registration date : 2010-06-02

PostSubject: Re: Trip to WVA from Chicago in July   Trip to WVA from Chicago in July Icon_minitimeJune 10th 2015, 12:01 am

Somewhere on here is a list of all the local lodgings in the Ashland/welch/Bramwell areas and the 3 H/M trail systems
Back to top Go down
My 800

My 800

Number of posts : 875
Registration date : 2014-06-11

PostSubject: Re: Trip to WVA from Chicago in July   Trip to WVA from Chicago in July Icon_minitimeJune 10th 2015, 1:45 am

good one  Another thought.  You can make this trip a two stop tour.  The Ashland area gives you Indian Ridge out of the drive, Pocahontas, and Pinnacle Creek with them all 3 being connected by official H/M Connectors.  Ride this area 2 or three days.

THEN, pack lightly, load up and ride up US 52 to Gilbert and ride the Rockhouse, Trailer to Bearwallow (30 mins), and Trailer to Buffalo Mountain(45 mins).  This will give you the most exposure to the best of the H/M Trails.  If Twin Hollow Campgrounds and Cabins have what you need, it won't get any better than that.

I do believe all of this has already been said, but here it is all in one post.  Ride safe where ever you decide to go...MD
Back to top Go down
Timmi

Timmi

Number of posts : 1623
Registration date : 2012-11-25

PostSubject: Re: Trip to WVA from Chicago in July   Trip to WVA from Chicago in July Icon_minitimeJune 10th 2015, 7:37 am

keeter wrote:
Somewhere on here is a list of all the local lodgings in the Ashland/welch/Bramwell areas and the 3 H/M trail systems
https://wvsxsriders.forumotion.com/t130-links-to-places-around-the-wagon-wheel-area
Back to top Go down
http://www.jbshotrodperformance.com/
pushrod

pushrod

Number of posts : 122
Registration date : 2009-02-12

PostSubject: Re: Trip to WVA from Chicago in July   Trip to WVA from Chicago in July Icon_minitimeJune 12th 2015, 1:36 pm

going to a big ride at RB july 19
Back to top Go down
Durasmack

PostSubject: Re: Trip to WVA from Chicago in July   Trip to WVA from Chicago in July Icon_minitimeJune 15th 2015, 9:27 am

we booked at the Ashland Resort.
Thanks for all the comments and help.
Cant wait to get out there!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Trip to WVA from Chicago in July   Trip to WVA from Chicago in July Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Trip to WVA from Chicago in July
Page 1 of 1