WVSXSRIDERS.COM / WVTRAILRIDERS.COM
Thanks for visiting us! Check out our forum here and on HotRodForums.net. Visit us on www.JBSPerformance.com for ultimate performance parts and accessories for your SXS !!

WVSXSRIDERS.COM / WVTRAILRIDERS.COM

wv trail riding on side by sides

HomeBannerRegisterLog inVideos

Latest topics
» March 12th & 13th @ Hot Rods with Bobby D & Geterdun
November 15th 2017, 7:51 pm by WV Hot Rod Rhino

» Any atv riders left out there?
November 14th 2017, 5:07 pm by Timmi

» overland expedition - potts mountian
November 14th 2017, 2:40 pm by offroadohio

» 2018 Spring Ride
November 10th 2017, 12:16 pm by WV Hot Rod Rhino

» 2013 RZR XP 900 4
November 9th 2017, 10:29 pm by itsavrod

» 2014 Polaris Ranger Crew PRICE REDUCED
November 5th 2017, 9:57 pm by pazzoasino

» 2018 Pickens Poker Run
November 4th 2017, 10:32 am by OhioRZRrider32

» RZR 4 U Joints
November 3rd 2017, 8:29 am by Gadget

» 10-28-17 halloween ride at hotrods
November 1st 2017, 10:33 pm by WV Hot Rod Rhino

Who is online?
In total there are 7 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 7 Guests :: 2 Bots

None

Most users ever online was 252 on August 7th 2016, 8:56 pm
Top posters
Bobby D

bubba53

rayray

WV Hot Rod Rhino

shawn

Hump

pit dog

Jet

big g

simoniz

Top posting users this month
WV Hot Rod Rhino

bubba53

Timmi

rayray

itsavrod

mikec

pazzoasino

Gadget

offroadohio

OhioRZRrider32

Most active topic starters
bubba53

Bobby D

WV Hot Rod Rhino

JimBob

ElmoEOD

punder

Finzup

neuromax

rayray

Steve K

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Share | 

$12k to spend, what would you buy?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
bleach

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2015-12-09

PostSubject: $12k to spend, what would you buy?   December 9th 2015, 8:26 am

I've been wanting a sxs and have researched and searched. They all seem to have their problems. Money IS an issue, so I just can't purchase really a 20k machine.
I've thought long and hard about a Arctic Cat wildcat sport from MLS in Kentucky. They have some good prices on the 15 models. Their web page has prices.
Then Abernanthy's in TN has a 900 eps trail for close to $12k
Reliability is a major concern, as is having to fix a bunch of shit right off the show room floor to make it dependable.
Anyway, any suggestions on what's out there around $12k or less that you would buy again, or recommend. Thanks for any suggestions.
Back to top Go down
Timmi

Number of posts : 1604
Registration date : 2012-11-25

PostSubject: Re: $12k to spend, what would you buy?   December 9th 2015, 8:44 am

welcome to the forum
I just paid 12k for a Yamaha Wolverine
best buy I could have made for the money
Back to top Go down
http://www.jbshotrodperformance.com/
shawn

Number of posts : 5230
Registration date : 2009-02-11

PostSubject: Re: $12k to spend, what would you buy?   December 9th 2015, 9:08 am

Options are still out there for around the 12K range.
1st -- get the machine that will work for you
2nd -- continue your research
3rd -- if you need to wait & spend a little more more to get a better machine, then wait. You will be happier in the long run.

My opinion right now for 12K --- the Yamaha Wolverine is the best bang for the buck. It has the utility/sport combination. Realiability is not an issue and your buying a name brand proven through the years.
  Now before you guys start slaming me, this is only my opinon. And yes guys --- I am still riding a Polaris

Last edited by shawn on December 9th 2015, 2:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://hanshewshawn@yahoo.com
WV Hot Rod Rhino
Admin

Number of posts : 5381
Registration date : 2009-10-06

PostSubject: Re: $12k to spend, what would you buy?   December 9th 2015, 11:28 am

wolvy is a good reliable machine for the money..way better than artic cat
Back to top Go down
http://www.jbsperformance.com/
JimBob

Number of posts : 1756
Registration date : 2011-03-28

PostSubject: Re: $12k to spend, what would you buy?   December 9th 2015, 11:52 am

STAY AWAY FROM THE ARTICAT I HAD ONE AND THEY ARE NOTHING BUT JUNK. TERYX OR THE YAMAHA ARE THE MOST DEPENDABLE MACHINES ON THE MARKET.
Back to top Go down
WV Hot Rod Rhino
Admin

PostSubject: Re: $12k to spend, what would you buy?   December 9th 2015, 3:02 pm

JimBob wrote:
STAY AWAY FROM THE ARTICAT I HAD ONE AND THEY ARE NOTHING BUT JUNK. TERYX OR THE YAMAHA ARE THE MOST DEPENDABLE MACHINES ON THE MARKET.
bobby loves them...lmao
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: $12k to spend, what would you buy?   December 9th 2015, 5:34 pm

It sounds like you want to buy more pure sport vs utility. I would go look at them all and make a decision. The rzr 1000 is a good buy right now. Dealers are selling at mid 16,000's and thats a lot of machine and good ride plus awesome power.The rzr 900 and 900S's are even lower. I would stay away from the Arctic cat stuff in general.
Here is my opinion and mine only. Yamaha builds a good machine. If you get one your going to have to spend money to get it to go as quick as a 900 rzr. Also when I rode a wolverine, it wasn't a great ride compared to a rzr lineup. Remember the wolverine is not a pure sport so it will have to sacrifice ride.
Thats my opinion though. Only yamaha I would be interested in right now would be a YXZ but thats a 20 grand machine. RZR900 vs wolverine, there is a big difference in ride and power. Wolverine won't run nearly as good as a rzr. This is just my observation by driving them.
My suggestion for you is a rzr 900 based on what your are describing as needs. I do encourage you to take in what everyone says and go look at them all. Sit in them all. Buy what YOU want because its you that needs to be happy.
For me, I love yamaha and there isn't anything wrong with the wolverine but I could never be happy with a wolverine due to the lack of power and lack of ride vs the pure sport. I am a pure "pure sport" rider. I would rather spend almost the same money and have a great riding great powered machine for what its worth. Everybody is different though so take the time out to go see them all. All that matters at the endow the day is if your happy and that you are fortunate enough to get to the trail with all your friends. Good luck and see ya on the trail
Back to top Go down
bleach

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2015-12-09

PostSubject: Re: $12k to spend, what would you buy?   December 9th 2015, 5:47 pm

Thanks for the replies. If Honda had a pure sport, I think my decision would be Honda. What has me worried the most is the stories of all the repairs that are having to be made Even when people claim to baby them, things are horribily wrong. I've rented a RZR 800S at Ride Royal Blue and a RZR570 at Burning Rock. To scared to really "dog" either out because I didn't want to pay for any repairs. 
I ride a 700XX sport quad now mostly at H/M. 
Last year the Can Am Maverick could be had for close to $12k, but I missed out. 
Can all of them be classified as junk in some way? It can get so over whelming when trying to read forums. Most people will just complain, and never say how great a product is. 
I wonder what makes the AC junk? On their forums, they say the sport is a great machine. Mostly on RZR forums, nobody really loves the quality of them. They have the market on the pure sport, but people seem to say they'd jump ship quick because of problems...O decisions, decisions.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: $12k to spend, what would you buy?   December 9th 2015, 5:56 pm

yes sir they all can be considered junk in a way. They all have their issues. Remember, this is a hobby so the money will be spent one way or another. 
AC just has a terrible reputation. They seem to have more issues than most. Also you have to look at resale. Their market is terrible and dealers are selling them below cost to get rid of them. As far as that trail, I do like the motor in it. Just hate where the air box is on it. I think the trail is better than the regular wildcat as far as issues. 
Just take your time and go look at all on them. Go to the yamaha dealer...go to the polaris dealer....go to the cam am dealer. Since this is a hobby, have fun at shopping for one. You will know the right one for you when you find it.
Back to top Go down
rayray

Number of posts : 6333
Registration date : 2010-08-15

PostSubject: Re: $12k to spend, what would you buy?   December 9th 2015, 7:03 pm

Before you buy a new machine and have to get something that you may not be happy with. Check on some used but not abused machines. You can find them with lots of accessories and low miles for a great deal if you look around.  That's what I did when I bought my Maverick.  388 miles with 2300 in accessories for $13400 and I have seen better deals than that on all different kinds of SXS's on t FB and Craigslist.

Either way try to get close to what you want and you will be happier in the long run.
Back to top Go down
WV Hot Rod Rhino
Admin

PostSubject: Re: $12k to spend, what would you buy?   December 9th 2015, 9:34 pm

rzr vs wolverine in quality..rzr dont come close
Back to top Go down
big g

Number of posts : 3689
Registration date : 2010-02-04

PostSubject: Re: $12k to spend, what would you buy?   December 9th 2015, 10:29 pm

For 12 grand new the wolverine or teryx would be the best bang for the buck and u get eps and warranty
Back to top Go down
Timmi

PostSubject: Re: $12k to spend, what would you buy?   December 9th 2015, 10:48 pm

WV Hot Rod Rhino wrote:
rzr vs wolverine in quality..rzr dont come close
no it seriously doesn't
the wolvy is just so much better built
it feels tight where my rz was rattly
the Yamaha cvt is so much better
smoother takeoff and built in engine braking
my wolvy rides every bit as good as the rzr 900
the rzr has more power, but I have never run out of pedal with my wolvy

I bought the SE Wolverine with eps and alloy rims for $12.2k at Romney in WV.

The Teryx would be my second choice.
It's louder in the cab and doesn't ride as good as the Wolverine
but it's very well built and has good power.
Back to top Go down
Yotehunter66

Number of posts : 2119
Registration date : 2011-03-23

PostSubject: Re: $12k to spend, what would you buy?   December 9th 2015, 11:05 pm

I'm partial to can am myself. lol!
Back to top Go down
Hump

Number of posts : 4683
Registration date : 2009-03-08

PostSubject: Re: $12k to spend, what would you buy?   December 9th 2015, 11:47 pm

Wolverine for sure.  Tbone must have drove James' wolverine to judge it's ride smoothness as James has his settings very stiff so the shocks don't bottom when he hits a ditch at 45mph.  I drove his when he 1st got it and it was the smoothest riding thing I've ever been in other than a 4 seat rzr.  I had a rzrS 800 with fox shocks and it didn't ride as good as my rhino does with factory sport resi shocks. 

Everybody has their favorites for different reasons, but when it comes to reliability nothing else even comes close to a Yamaha or Kawasaki.

I don't really want to hurt anyone's feelings, but the only way I would own a arctic cat, or own another polaris is if someone gave me a new one.  I would take that and trade it in on a Yamaha or Kawi the next day.  Reason being, reliability is my number one concern.  I like riding 2500 miles before needing any repairs.  Every 300-500 really sucks.  I can't afford that, and that's time I can spend riding instead of spinning wrenches.

These are facts on my personal experiences.  Just trying to help not start an argument, so save the hate mail and let's ride.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: $12k to spend, what would you buy?   December 10th 2015, 11:10 am

The local honda dealer here in Asheboro has been telling me their pure sport machine is coming soon. I don't know how much truth there is to that but will be interesting to see if it comes out.   

If I ever get me some land then I may get me a Wolverine. Im not a big fan of a Ranger. I really like that new General coming but if I work it some then a yamaha will do way better. For WV riding right now in my life the way better ride of the pure sport and power is the way I like to ride and enjoy these rides. Maybe if I can kill two birds with one stone one day when I have me some land then I will either get a Wolverine or another Commander. Thats why I am more for the pure sport side and not the mix of the two. Its all in what you want. Good luck with the search and hopefully in 2016 we will see a Honda Pure Sport. 
Back to top Go down
Timmi

PostSubject: Re: $12k to spend, what would you buy?   December 10th 2015, 11:30 am

Honda is said to have a sport model in the spring and Yamaha has a trail model coming with more power than the Viking/Wolverine. It seems that would make it a twin cylinder at least.
If I were to buy a work utv, it would have to be the Honda Pioneer.
I'll take gears over a belt any day for moving weight.
Polaris makes good machines, they just need to correct quality problems and fast wearing suspension parts. The engines/cvt seem to hold up very well.

TBone, you mention a mix sxs, that's what I like. I don't want pure power but I also don't want a farm machine.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: $12k to spend, what would you buy?   December 10th 2015, 1:03 pm

Timmi wrote:
Honda is said to have a sport model in the spring and Yamaha has a trail model coming with more power than the Viking/Wolverine. It seems that would make it a twin cylinder at least.
If I were to buy a work utv, it would have to be the Honda Pioneer.
I'll take gears over a belt any day for moving weight.
Polaris makes good machines, they just need to correct quality problems and fast wearing suspension parts. The engines/cvt seem to hold up very well.

TBone, you mention a mix sxs, that's what I like. I don't want pure power but I also don't want a farm machine.
I hear ya Timmi. Thats my point exactly on why the OP just needs to go see them all. You like the mix side by side. I like the pure sport. There are so many options out there and people are different. Thats whats great about this sport. I really just don't like brand bashing. All it does is hurt feelings and nobody here can say one specific brand is the best. They all have their quirks. The only brand I don't like is AC. Other than that I like them all to be honest.
If someone had to nominate the best then it would have to be Polaris. They are number one in sales and marketshare in this segment. The most popular and customer demands sale the most. I like a Can am myself but they are number two in marketshare but who really cares at the end of the day is my thoughts. Go get what everyone wants and lets go have some fun. If ya happen to tear it up then call James and buy some stuff from him. Thats how I look at it. Yahoo!Yahoo!
Back to top Go down
WV Hot Rod Rhino
Admin

PostSubject: Re: $12k to spend, what would you buy?   December 10th 2015, 5:17 pm

my slow wolvy is just as fast as your fast rzr in the woods ROFL IJS whos your daddy
Back to top Go down
WV Hot Rod Rhino
Admin

PostSubject: Re: $12k to spend, what would you buy?   December 10th 2015, 5:19 pm

and you will tear that rzr up during the making of the video...lol..thats the fact jack...tell them about the yxz waxing that xp on the last ride or do you want me to post wids...lmao
Back to top Go down
My 800

Number of posts : 872
Registration date : 2014-06-11

PostSubject: Re: $12k to spend, what would you buy?   December 10th 2015, 10:48 pm

good one  Great comments including truth and some shucking and jiving like always.  for 12K, go by a new Kawasaki Standard Teryx, with front bumper, EPS, and great engine braking.  BTW, the 3 year warranty is great also.  Buy you a top and have a lot of change to to spend on riding.  IMHO...MD
Back to top Go down
Hump

Number of posts : 4683
Registration date : 2009-03-08

PostSubject: Re: $12k to spend, what would you buy?   December 11th 2015, 1:27 am

Polaris is #1 in sales for 2 reasons.  Power, and if you only care about power, you have to buy a new one every 2000 miles because that's when they start to cost you more money than what the payment is per month.

People get butt hurt over people like me telling it like it is, but what really hurts is my ass.  It still hasn't healed from all those rzr repairs, wrench time, and embarrassment from saying "I can't ride this weekend, I have a ball joint ready to separate".  

I still feel like I'm going to hell for selling that thing to someone.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: $12k to spend, what would you buy?   December 11th 2015, 10:58 am

WV Hot Rod Rhino wrote:
my slow wolvy is just as fast as your fast rzr in the woods ROFL IJS whos your daddy

U come on and get you some big boy!     Everytime I race you, I have to change my brake pads because u are so slow. If you have any video at all is when you hit it and I didn't even know a race was going on. I will race ya when you outrun the Pissy Pussy Posse. They have claimed dominance over the JBS Yamaha's and everyone knows the pissy pussy posse is the slowest out there so if they are outrunning you then you got a problem. lol!      My commander got ya, the jagged got ya, and my old 900p murdered ya. It will be a slaughterhouse with my new machine coming. And thats with only running on one cylinder. thumbs upthumbs up
Back to top Go down
Timmi

PostSubject: Re: $12k to spend, what would you buy?   December 11th 2015, 11:05 am

new machine? what is this new machine you speak of?

Back to top Go down
rayray

PostSubject: Re: $12k to spend, what would you buy?   December 11th 2015, 12:26 pm

Either a turbo RZR or a Yamaha super shifter, high revin', trail burnin', more power than he can handle YXZ special is what I heard.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: $12k to spend, what would you buy?   December 11th 2015, 12:49 pm

rayray wrote:
Either a turbo RZR or a Yamaha super shifter, high revin', trail burnin', more power than he can handle YXZ special is what I heard.
Its a rzr 900S the way its looking.  thumbs up
Back to top Go down
Timmi

PostSubject: Re: $12k to spend, what would you buy?   December 11th 2015, 1:23 pm

TBONE21 wrote:
rayray wrote:
why not the 1000S?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: $12k to spend, what would you buy?   December 11th 2015, 4:26 pm

Timmi wrote:
TBONE21 wrote:
rayray wrote:
why not the 1000S?
I don't want to out run James that bad. I don't want it to be a total blow out where you can't even see him anymore after 200 feet from the start. 900s will still get him pretty good. After a lap he will only be a football field away.  Yahoo! LMAO
Back to top Go down
rayray

PostSubject: Re: $12k to spend, what would you buy?   December 11th 2015, 5:55 pm

couch Up Laugh Up Laugh Up Laugh
Back to top Go down
big g

Number of posts : 3689
Registration date : 2010-02-04

PostSubject: Re: $12k to spend, what would you buy?   December 11th 2015, 5:58 pm

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: $12k to spend, what would you buy?   

Back to top Go down

$12k to spend, what would you buy?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next