WVSXSRIDERS.COM / WVTRAILRIDERS.COM
Thanks for visiting us! Check out our forum here and on HotRodForums.net. Visit us on www.JBSPerformance.com for ultimate performance parts and accessories for your SXS !!

WVSXSRIDERS.COM / WVTRAILRIDERS.COM

wv trail riding on side by sides

HomeBannerRegisterLog inVideos

Latest topics
» March 12th & 13th @ Hot Rods with Bobby D & Geterdun
November 15th 2017, 7:51 pm by WV Hot Rod Rhino

» Any atv riders left out there?
November 14th 2017, 5:07 pm by Timmi

» overland expedition - potts mountian
November 14th 2017, 2:40 pm by offroadohio

» 2018 Spring Ride
November 10th 2017, 12:16 pm by WV Hot Rod Rhino

» 2013 RZR XP 900 4
November 9th 2017, 10:29 pm by itsavrod

» 2014 Polaris Ranger Crew PRICE REDUCED
November 5th 2017, 9:57 pm by pazzoasino

» 2018 Pickens Poker Run
November 4th 2017, 10:32 am by OhioRZRrider32

» RZR 4 U Joints
November 3rd 2017, 8:29 am by Gadget

» 10-28-17 halloween ride at hotrods
November 1st 2017, 10:33 pm by WV Hot Rod Rhino

Who is online?
In total there are 11 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 11 Guests :: 2 Bots

None

Most users ever online was 252 on August 7th 2016, 8:56 pm
Top posters
Bobby D

bubba53

rayray

WV Hot Rod Rhino

shawn

Hump

pit dog

Jet

big g

simoniz

Top posting users this month
WV Hot Rod Rhino

bubba53

Timmi

rayray

itsavrod

mikec

pazzoasino

Gadget

offroadohio

OhioRZRrider32

Most active topic starters
bubba53

Bobby D

WV Hot Rod Rhino

JimBob

ElmoEOD

punder

Finzup

neuromax

rayray

Steve K

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Share | 

Cannonball Run

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: Cannonball Run   January 15th 2016, 4:31 pm

I wanted to post this up and get some feedback on if some people would be interested in making this an event once a year.

I had this idea and ran it by James to see what he thinks. For years we have had this funned safe rivalry on who is the fastest in the woods.It hit me the other day to lets just go a Cannonball Run. Spread out the start times so theres no beating and banging. Make the run on an identified trail like HM or the 19 mile loop at Burning rock. If you want to go on an outlaw then have at it. No trailering a machine or anything. Machine must be on the ground at all times. 
I suggested from Jerrys to Welch and back. Pick up a ticket from someone in Welch and make it back to the finish line in front of riders paradise. First place takes all the money. 25 dollar per machine entry. Fastest time wins. 
James suggested the 19 mile loop in Burning rock. I think it would be a fun annual event and I know its not for everyone. Not many have a taste for that kind of riding. I figure only 20 to 30 machines would join it. 
Either way just getting some thoughts here. If there isn't much the on it then I will just go do it with a few others and James.

Thoughts?
Back to top Go down
rayray

Number of posts : 6333
Registration date : 2010-08-15

PostSubject: Re: Cannonball Run   January 15th 2016, 6:37 pm

My problem is I don't know the trails good enough but I am willing to be a co pilot / tire repairororor.  lol!
Back to top Go down
Roger cantly

Number of posts : 313
Registration date : 2013-03-31

PostSubject: Re: Cannonball Run   January 15th 2016, 7:03 pm

I would worry this would cause an accedent, but sounds like fun.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cannonball Run   January 15th 2016, 7:55 pm

Back to top Go down
WV Hot Rod Rhino
Admin

Number of posts : 5381
Registration date : 2009-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Cannonball Run   January 15th 2016, 8:03 pm

the 19 mile burning rock trail is one way trail
Back to top Go down
http://www.jbsperformance.com/
My 800

Number of posts : 872
Registration date : 2014-06-11

PostSubject: Re: Cannonball Run   January 15th 2016, 9:17 pm

good one  Great Idea Tbone. 

I probably won't be a "cannonballer", but there will need to be official observers or spectators in many locations along the trail...MD
Back to top Go down
Finzup

Number of posts : 2037
Registration date : 2009-07-13

PostSubject: Re: Cannonball Run   January 15th 2016, 10:51 pm

Sounds like fun but I wouldn't want to pay to lose to someone who knows the trails.  Even so, someone WILL get hurt trying to beat those that do know the trails.  How about a Rally that needs a navigator who's given sealed directions that can't be opened until flagged off.  Needs checkpoints for new directions but is a real blast remembering my SCCA days.  Closest to best time wins.  Let TBone or Hot Rod Rhino set the best time.  Too soon eliminates the ride.  Best time after that wins.  It'll be really fun.  Awards party afterwards.  WooHoo!!!
Back to top Go down
WVwhitelightningXP

Number of posts : 51
Registration date : 2011-10-07

PostSubject: Re: Cannonball Run   January 15th 2016, 11:08 pm

I like your idea finzup!!! That sounds like a blast!
Back to top Go down
WV Hot Rod Rhino
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Cannonball Run   January 16th 2016, 12:29 pm

it would make for good business at burning rock..that trail has changed alot and ive only rode it 3-4 times over the last 5 years so there is prolly alot more people that know it way better than me..i cant remember but maybe 2 intersections and not much of the trail..and it could be done at any time just record it for proof and meet up for multiple tries with friends..i mentioned this to burning rock last year and they was up for it...people could come from anywhere,anytime and post there vid..
Back to top Go down
Hump

Number of posts : 4683
Registration date : 2009-03-08

PostSubject: Re: Cannonball Run   January 16th 2016, 4:06 pm

Sounds like a good idea at Burning Rock, but I think someone needs to be at every intersection on that one way trail to make sure nobody comes out a side trail and heads the wrong way, or gets on and holds someone up.  I also think that everyone in it should pre-run it a few times, not go in blind.  If you want to hit the unknown with the only thing on your mind is "fast as I can go", then they may as well line up the helicopters in the parking lot.  

Sounds like fun if done right.  I don't know what would be the most fun, setting along the trail watching them go like hell, or running in it.
Back to top Go down
Randy R

Number of posts : 775
Registration date : 2009-02-14

PostSubject: Re: Cannonball Run   January 17th 2016, 1:23 am

I can't see how you can do it somewhere like Burning Rock that is privately owned with paid admission and one way trails. Much easier on Outlaw trails.  A good timed event would be from the Stairsteps to Gilbert but you can't be on haul road for more than 5 miles and pavement under 5 miles.  Or heck how about from Burning Rock to Gilbert with a clearly defined route.  That makes it at least a 5 hr ride.  Only issue then is road is 10 miles of trip and speed on the road is just wrong since it makes SxS's look bad.

I personally think sitting on the trail would be boring since you only see one location.  The best way to watch is have each SxS using a "Spot" so anyone can track them on a smartphone or computer.  We used a Spot for the 300 miles we covered in 22 hours circling the Paiute trail.  Very cool.

To me this sounds interesting but to many it will be seen as dangerous.
Back to top Go down
Hump

Number of posts : 4683
Registration date : 2009-03-08

PostSubject: Re: Cannonball Run   January 17th 2016, 1:40 pm

The headlines on the news will look real good  One of several men racing side by sides runs over and kills 12 yr old girl on outlaw trails.  Several witnesses report being nearly hit.

Burning Rock has races already, and the one way trail is perfect.  To do something like this on the outlaw trails and be in and out of haul roads, blacktop, and near houses would be helping get rid of the riding we have here.  Every time someone gets chased by the law or crashes, they beat it to death on the news here begging for restrictions.
Back to top Go down
Roger cantly

Number of posts : 313
Registration date : 2013-03-31

PostSubject: Re: Cannonball Run   January 17th 2016, 8:33 pm

Will never work on the outlaw trails.
Back to top Go down
shawn

Number of posts : 5230
Registration date : 2009-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Cannonball Run   January 18th 2016, 8:59 am

Really like the idea ---- I believe we the right amount of people making sure everyone ios safe, it can happen
Back to top Go down
http://hanshewshawn@yahoo.com

PostSubject: Re: Cannonball Run   January 18th 2016, 12:19 pm

Well from past, it was a safe event. Thats part of knowing how to pilot your machine. You have to decide whats a safe situation and whats not. Also spreading out the start times helps a lot in this. 
If you wanted to get on an outlaw trail then thats ok. Only rule I would have is the machines tires never leave the ground meaning no trailering. Once again this isn't for everyone and thats ok. Just adding a fun event. 
Spectators best place will be at the finish line and at the turnaround so you can see how everyone is doing.
Back to top Go down
rayray

Number of posts : 6333
Registration date : 2010-08-15

PostSubject: Re: Cannonball Run   January 18th 2016, 12:48 pm

I am with Hump on this one...I don't think the outlaw trails should be used for this.  Too many ways for other riders to get in the way or get hurt. Only one way trails will be safe enough for this to work. The last thing that any of us want or need is to get someone hurt.

One way trails marked really well and spotters at check points along the way to insure no cheating.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cannonball Run   January 18th 2016, 1:32 pm

I agree with it not being on outlaw. In my original post I was suggesting it being on HM or a designated trail like burning rock. 
If someone started out on the marked trail and decided to try a shortcut on outlaw that they knew then so be it. Thats what I am trying to say as far as unmarked trails go. You cannot patrol someone deviating to an unmarked trail so if you knew a shortcut off the beaten path then have at it.
Back to top Go down
WV Hot Rod Rhino
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Cannonball Run   January 18th 2016, 4:41 pm

burning rock will let us do it..i talked to them about it before...i would wanna mark it better cause the last time i was on it i passed up a couple turns and had to go back and we was ridn by ourselves just cruising
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cannonball Run   January 18th 2016, 4:42 pm

WV Hot Rod Rhino wrote:
burning rock will let us do it..i talked to them about it before...i would wanna mark it better cause the last time i was on it i passed up a couple turns and had to go back and we was ridn by ourselves just cruising
Yahoo! Yahoo! Yahoo! Yahoo! Yahoo! Yahoo! Git R Done
Back to top Go down
JimBob

Number of posts : 1756
Registration date : 2011-03-28

PostSubject: Re: Cannonball Run   January 18th 2016, 6:50 pm

I'M RIDING WITH FINZUP, BUT HE HAS TO TIGHTENED HIS NUTS BEFORE WE START BECAUSE I'M NOT TOUCHING HIS NUTS. NO WAY OLD JIMBOB IS TIGHTING HIS NUTS FOR HIM. Yahoo!
Back to top Go down
Yotehunter66

Number of posts : 2119
Registration date : 2011-03-23

PostSubject: Re: Cannonball Run   January 18th 2016, 8:31 pm

Love the movie!
Back to top Go down
2daymightbetheday

Number of posts : 93
Registration date : 2013-08-08

PostSubject: Re: Cannonball Run   January 18th 2016, 8:34 pm

Many years ago some of us did a run from a novel we had read.  You take a designated course with checkpoints and the organizer drives it a few times and you set predetermined times between the checkpoints.  Closest to the preset times for the entire course wins.  Point system with a set number of points for each leg, deduct for early or late times.   Not a speed race, but a precision driving race requiring a driver and a navigator in each machine.  Measured distances between check points, that everyone is given, so you can figure speed etc.  It was a blast.  But has been more years ago than I will ever admit to.  Drivers need not even know course, navigator has map.
Back to top Go down
Finzup

Number of posts : 2037
Registration date : 2009-07-13

PostSubject: Re: Cannonball Run   January 18th 2016, 10:08 pm

2daymightbetheday wrote:
Many years ago some of us did a run from a novel we had read.  You take a designated course with checkpoints and the organizer drives it a few times and you set predetermined times between the checkpoints.  Closest to the preset times for the entire course wins.  Point system with a set number of points for each leg, deduct for early or late times.   Not a speed race, but a precision driving race requiring a driver and a navigator in each machine.  Measured distances between check points, that everyone is given, so you can figure speed etc.  It was a blast.  But has been more years ago than I will ever admit to.  Drivers need not even know course, navigator has map.
That's what I'm talking about above.   Back in the day our sports car club held ralleys exactly like that.  Working a checkpoint, I'll always remember an XKE running full throttle, the wrong way, past my location.  When/if you get lost speed does make a difference in catching up.  I agree, it was much fun.  Even won a novice class once.  A good navigator is most important since the driver can't read the instructions.
Back to top Go down
2daymightbetheday

Number of posts : 93
Registration date : 2013-08-08

PostSubject: Re: Cannonball Run   January 24th 2016, 9:23 pm

Right on.  A good navigator will make or brake an event like this.  They have to keep the driver on course and figure speed to make time in each segment.  Speed on each segment is a big part of it all.  Some slow and some faster.  Safer and I think more fun than just a speed competition.  Could win an event like this with a very small machine
Back to top Go down
Genie72

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2013-11-12

PostSubject: Re: Cannonball Run   January 27th 2016, 10:41 am

Just a suggestion, take this run to an off road park like King Knob near Philippi WV. Contact the owners and check out the option of doing the race at a designated area,date, and time; others that want to watch can attend and ride the park too.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cannonball Run   January 27th 2016, 11:05 am

Great suggestions. Maybe something will come from it. Ill get with James and see what we can do.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cannonball Run   

Back to top Go down

Cannonball Run
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1