WV SXS RIDERS / WVTRAILRIDERS.COM
Thanks for visiting us! Check out our forum here and on HotRodForums.net. Visit us on www.JBSPerformance.com for ultimate performance parts and accessories for your SXS !!
Thanks for visiting us! Check out our forum here and on HotRodForums.net. Visit us on www.JBSPerformance.com for ultimate performance parts and accessories for your SXS !!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

wv trail riding on side by sides

HomeBannerLatest imagesRegisterLog inVideos
The Commander, My first Impression 2010WVSXSRIDERSSpringRide133
The Commander, My first Impression 2010WVSXSRIDERSSpringRide131
The Commander, My first Impression 2010WVSXSRIDERSSpringRide136
The Commander, My first Impression 2010WVSXSRIDERSSpringRide140
The Commander, My first Impression 2010WVSXSRIDERSSpringRide148
The Commander, My first Impression 2010WVSXSRIDERSSpringRide121
The Commander, My first Impression 2010WVSXSRIDERSSpringRide161
The Commander, My first Impression 2010WVSXSRIDERSSpringRide186
The Commander, My first Impression 2010WVSXSRIDERSSpringRide190
The Commander, My first Impression 2010WVSXSRIDERSSpringRide126
The Commander, My first Impression 2010WVSXSRIDERSSpringRide194
The Commander, My first Impression 2010WVSXSRIDERSSpringRide195
The Commander, My first Impression 2010WVSXSRIDERSSpringRide197
The Commander, My first Impression 2010WVSXSRIDERSSpringRide217
The Commander, My first Impression 2010WVSXSRIDERSSpringRide221
The Commander, My first Impression 2010WVSXSRIDERSSpringRide229
The Commander, My first Impression 2010WVSXSRIDERSSpringRide234
The Commander, My first Impression 2010WVSXSRIDERSSpringRide253
The Commander, My first Impression 2010WVSXSRIDERSSpringRide256
The Commander, My first Impression 2010WVSXSRIDERSSpringRide258
The Commander, My first Impression 2010WVSXSRIDERSSpringRide276
The Commander, My first Impression 2010WVSXSRIDERSSpringRide280
The Commander, My first Impression 2010WVSXSRIDERSSpringRide287
The Commander, My first Impression 2010WVSXSRIDERSSpringRide159
The Commander, My first Impression 2010WVSXSRIDERSSpringRide293
The Commander, My first Impression 2010WVSXSRIDERSSpringRide299
The Commander, My first Impression 2010WVSXSRIDERSSpringRide305
The Commander, My first Impression 2010WVSXSRIDERSSpringRide315
The Commander, My first Impression SpringRider10007
The Commander, My first Impression SpringRider10010
The Commander, My first Impression SpringRider10018
The Commander, My first Impression SpringRider10011
The Commander, My first Impression SpringRider10030
The Commander, My first Impression SpringRider10036
The Commander, My first Impression SpringRider10055
The Commander, My first Impression 2010WVSXSRIDERSSpringRide119
The Commander, My first Impression SpringRider10057

The Commander, My first Impression 100_3508
The Commander, My first Impression 100_3512
The Commander, My first Impression 100_3524
The Commander, My first Impression 100_3525
The Commander, My first Impression 100_3528
The Commander, My first Impression 100_3572
The Commander, My first Impression 100_3554
The Commander, My first Impression 100_3538
The Commander, My first Impression 100_3534

The Commander, My first Impression 106_6005-vi
The Commander, My first Impression 106_6098-vi
The Commander, My first Impression Dscf1320
The Commander, My first Impression Dscf1321
The Commander, My first Impression Dscf1322
The Commander, My first Impression Springride2010004
The Commander, My first Impression Springride2010005
The Commander, My first Impression Springride2010006
The Commander, My first Impression Springride2010008
The Commander, My first Impression Springride2010013
The Commander, My first Impression Springride2010020
The Commander, My first Impression Springride2010021
The Commander, My first Impression Springride2010022
The Commander, My first Impression Springride2010026
The Commander, My first Impression Springride2010030
The Commander, My first Impression Springride2010031

The Commander, My first Impression Springride2010049

The Commander, My first Impression NewYears201012-31-09037

The Commander, My first Impression Springride2010032

Latest topics
» Happy Thanksgiving
The Commander, My first Impression Icon_minitimeOctober 9th 2021, 9:07 pm by Timmi

» 2020 JBS Fall Ride
The Commander, My first Impression Icon_minitimeSeptember 27th 2020, 11:26 am by Timmi

» 5 points/ Wallace wv
The Commander, My first Impression Icon_minitimeJuly 14th 2020, 9:22 am by Timmi

» Wildcat
The Commander, My first Impression Icon_minitimeMay 10th 2020, 6:29 pm by Timmi

» Released a new WV ATV Trails Map
The Commander, My first Impression Icon_minitimeApril 13th 2020, 1:59 pm by richrzr714

» 2019 JBS Spring Ride
The Commander, My first Impression Icon_minitimeFebruary 21st 2020, 8:09 am by Timmi

» 2014 rzr 800 fuel pump don't come on and motor will not turn over
The Commander, My first Impression Icon_minitimeApril 10th 2019, 12:32 pm by John

» Apologies
The Commander, My first Impression Icon_minitimeJanuary 3rd 2019, 11:52 pm by Carolinarhino

» Creston Poker Run
The Commander, My first Impression Icon_minitimeOctober 10th 2018, 11:35 pm by Bubbaz

Who is online?
In total there are 50 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 50 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 650 on November 11th 2021, 8:48 am
Top posters
Bobby D
The Commander, My first Impression Vote_lcapThe Commander, My first Impression Voting_barThe Commander, My first Impression Vote_rcap 
bubba53
The Commander, My first Impression Vote_lcapThe Commander, My first Impression Voting_barThe Commander, My first Impression Vote_rcap 
rayray
WV Hot Rod Rhino
shawn
Hump
pit dog
Jet
big g
simoniz
Top posting users this month
No user
Most active topic starters
bubba53
Bobby D
WV Hot Rod Rhino
JimBob
ElmoEOD
punder
Finzup
neuromax
rayray
Steve K
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

The Commander, My first Impression

Go down 
+10
Garnog
rzrrebel1
Jeff M
Hump
Bobby D
neuromax
kgcyrus
bubba53
big g
RickV
14 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
RickV

RickV

Number of posts : 591
Registration date : 2009-02-11

The Commander, My first Impression Empty
PostSubject: The Commander, My first Impression   The Commander, My first Impression Icon_minitimeJune 29th 2010, 9:04 pm

The wife and I went to Snowshoe over the weekend to see the new Can-Am Commander and to watch the GNCC races. We really had a great time and the weather was perfect for racing. This was a huge event with huge classes and wall to wall spectators.

Can-Am was there offering demo rides on there entire line up including the new Commanders. They had 3 Commanders to demo, all 1000cc models plus another 1000cc XT model on display.

The Commander, My first Impression 6-19-10003

The Commander, My first Impression 6-19-10004

I crawled all over the display model shooting as many pictures that I could. One of the Can-Am employees even asked me if I was planning on building one from scratch! At first glance it is easy to see that Can-Am has put a lot of thought and engineering into these new machines. The fit and finish on everything is top shelf. They are very well built machines. It seems that Can-Am has studied the competition and has over engineered the problems each competitor has.

Starting at the front of the machine the first thing that was impressive is the size of the radiator, this thing is monstrous, and it should be capable of cooling a small block Chevy. Being a Rhino owner this feature alone almost has me hooked.

The Commander, My first Impression 6-19-10023

The front shocks on the XT are standard coil over with notched pre-load.

The Commander, My first Impression 6-19-10016

Travel is claimed to be 10 inches. Front has double A-arm design that looks beefy, all welds looked to be exceptional.

The Commander, My first Impression 6-19-10018

The front hood has a panel that lifts off similar to the RZR, underneath arranged in a very neat array is servable items such as air box, radiator filler, etc., servicing these items will be a snap.

The Commander, My first Impression 6-19-10021

Moving on to the interior,
The Commander, My first Impression 6-19-10006

the seats are very comfortable and fully adjustable. The instrument panel is very unique, mounted to the steering column so the gauge cluster moves with the wheel as the tilt wheel is adjusted. The cluster has analog type speedo and tach with digital information center in the middle (fuel, mileage, mode, etc.)

The Commander, My first Impression 6-19-10008

Dashboard center is several switches, high/low beam, 4wd, sport mode (modulates the throttle by wire), and to the far right is winch in and out which is standard on the XT. Below the switches are the ignition switch, starter button, and a 12V accessory plug.
The Commander, My first Impression 6-19-10015

The roll cage is very strong, made from 2 inch tubing.
The Commander, My first Impression 6-19-10020

The bed is unique as well, there are two separate compartments, the top compartment is very comparable to the Rhino, Ranger, and Terex beds, however, there is a separate compartment underneath that the top box has a false floor. With the floor of the top box in place the bottom bed is lockable, by opening the bottom tailgate the false floor will lift out creating a very deep bed to haul bulky items.

The Commander, My first Impression 6-19-10009

The Commander, My first Impression 6-19-10010

The Commander, My first Impression 6-19-10011

I have heard a lot of comments about the exhaust being low and concerns about submersing the exhaust, but seeing the machine in person the exhaust isn’t as low as I thought. It is above the trailer hitch about the same height above the ground as a stock RZR, just about even with the top of the rims.

The Commander, My first Impression 6-19-10013

the rear suspension also claims to be 10 inches of travel, a big difference from the norm is there are no A-Arms, instead the commander uses a swing arm of sorts, BRP claims this allows the tires to travel strait up and down, eliminating wheel scrub.

The Commander, My first Impression 6-19-10016

The Commander, My first Impression 6-19-10027

So much for the features and on to the real reason we went to Snowshoe, the demo ride. I rode the “X” model with the Fox shocks, 12 inch Big Horn 2.0 with bead locks, and heavy duty sway bars front and back. The Can-Am ride leader came over to each rider and explained all the functions of the individual machines. The commander comes with two smart keys, a black and gray key. The black key unleashes the full potential of the machine, while the grey key limits the top speed to 45 MPH. Another safety feature of the Commander is if you leave the seat belt unattached top speed is limited to 11MPH. For anyone wanting to upgrade to 4 point harness that will be a problem that someone will have to figure out, time will tell. When the group was ready the call for kick stands up came and we were ready to ride. Pushing the start button and bringing the beast to life the very first thing I noticed was how quite the Commander is, it was easy to carry on a normal conversation with the wife. Leaving the staging area and heading to the test track I laid back a bit so I could rip it a bit, punch the throttle and the Big Horns started throwing bits of chewed up turf out the back. Can you say POWER, that was fun, back off again to gain a little bit of room and whapped it again, I can’t tell you how much fun that was. Approaching a small drainage crossing I decided to hit it a bit hot, I was expecting a nice smooth bump but to my surprise the Commander hit pretty hard and bucked a little like my Rhino does. The steering is quick, almost go kart feel, but stiff, power steering would be a big help. The ride lasted for two laps around the track (sigh) but was very enjoyable. On the way home I kept thinking about the Commander hitting that cross ditch so hard, and I just kept thinking to myself “ With Fox shocks and 10 inches of travel it should have been more S like” After I got home and reviewed some of the pictures I took I understand why it was so stiff, the preload nuts was screw ¾ of the way down.

The Commander, My first Impression 6-19-10060

I would love to try it again with the preload backed off a bit to soften it up. After the ride the reps asked to fill out a survey, while talking to him he said these test units were the same units that was at the dealer show in Reno, I suspect they had the suspension cranked up to play in the dunes.