WV SXS RIDERS / WVTRAILRIDERS.COM
Thanks for visiting us! Check out our forum here and on HotRodForums.net. Visit us on www.JBSPerformance.com for ultimate performance parts and accessories for your SXS !!
Thanks for visiting us! Check out our forum here and on HotRodForums.net. Visit us on www.JBSPerformance.com for ultimate performance parts and accessories for your SXS !!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

wv trail riding on side by sides

HomeBannerLatest imagesRegisterLog inVideos
Buying a side by side out of state 2010WVSXSRIDERSSpringRide133
Buying a side by side out of state 2010WVSXSRIDERSSpringRide131
Buying a side by side out of state 2010WVSXSRIDERSSpringRide136
Buying a side by side out of state 2010WVSXSRIDERSSpringRide140
Buying a side by side out of state 2010WVSXSRIDERSSpringRide148
Buying a side by side out of state 2010WVSXSRIDERSSpringRide121
Buying a side by side out of state 2010WVSXSRIDERSSpringRide161
Buying a side by side out of state 2010WVSXSRIDERSSpringRide186
Buying a side by side out of state 2010WVSXSRIDERSSpringRide190
Buying a side by side out of state 2010WVSXSRIDERSSpringRide126
Buying a side by side out of state 2010WVSXSRIDERSSpringRide194
Buying a side by side out of state 2010WVSXSRIDERSSpringRide195
Buying a side by side out of state 2010WVSXSRIDERSSpringRide197
Buying a side by side out of state 2010WVSXSRIDERSSpringRide217
Buying a side by side out of state 2010WVSXSRIDERSSpringRide221
Buying a side by side out of state 2010WVSXSRIDERSSpringRide229
Buying a side by side out of state 2010WVSXSRIDERSSpringRide234
Buying a side by side out of state 2010WVSXSRIDERSSpringRide253
Buying a side by side out of state 2010WVSXSRIDERSSpringRide256
Buying a side by side out of state 2010WVSXSRIDERSSpringRide258
Buying a side by side out of state 2010WVSXSRIDERSSpringRide276
Buying a side by side out of state 2010WVSXSRIDERSSpringRide280
Buying a side by side out of state 2010WVSXSRIDERSSpringRide287
Buying a side by side out of state 2010WVSXSRIDERSSpringRide159
Buying a side by side out of state 2010WVSXSRIDERSSpringRide293
Buying a side by side out of state 2010WVSXSRIDERSSpringRide299
Buying a side by side out of state 2010WVSXSRIDERSSpringRide305
Buying a side by side out of state 2010WVSXSRIDERSSpringRide315
Buying a side by side out of state SpringRider10007
Buying a side by side out of state SpringRider10010
Buying a side by side out of state SpringRider10018
Buying a side by side out of state SpringRider10011
Buying a side by side out of state SpringRider10030
Buying a side by side out of state SpringRider10036
Buying a side by side out of state SpringRider10055
Buying a side by side out of state 2010WVSXSRIDERSSpringRide119
Buying a side by side out of state SpringRider10057

Buying a side by side out of state 100_3508
Buying a side by side out of state 100_3512
Buying a side by side out of state 100_3524
Buying a side by side out of state 100_3525
Buying a side by side out of state 100_3528
Buying a side by side out of state 100_3572
Buying a side by side out of state 100_3554
Buying a side by side out of state 100_3538
Buying a side by side out of state 100_3534

Buying a side by side out of state 106_6005-vi
Buying a side by side out of state 106_6098-vi
Buying a side by side out of state Dscf1320
Buying a side by side out of state Dscf1321
Buying a side by side out of state Dscf1322
Buying a side by side out of state Springride2010004
Buying a side by side out of state Springride2010005
Buying a side by side out of state Springride2010006
Buying a side by side out of state Springride2010008
Buying a side by side out of state Springride2010013
Buying a side by side out of state Springride2010020
Buying a side by side out of state Springride2010021
Buying a side by side out of state Springride2010022
Buying a side by side out of state Springride2010026
Buying a side by side out of state Springride2010030
Buying a side by side out of state Springride2010031

Buying a side by side out of state Springride2010049

Buying a side by side out of state NewYears201012-31-09037

Buying a side by side out of state Springride2010032

Latest topics
» Happy Thanksgiving
Buying a side by side out of state Icon_minitimeOctober 9th 2021, 9:07 pm by Timmi

» 2020 JBS Fall Ride
Buying a side by side out of state Icon_minitimeSeptember 27th 2020, 11:26 am by Timmi

» 5 points/ Wallace wv
Buying a side by side out of state Icon_minitimeJuly 14th 2020, 9:22 am by Timmi

» Wildcat
Buying a side by side out of state Icon_minitimeMay 10th 2020, 6:29 pm by Timmi

» Released a new WV ATV Trails Map
Buying a side by side out of state Icon_minitimeApril 13th 2020, 1:59 pm by richrzr714

» 2019 JBS Spring Ride
Buying a side by side out of state Icon_minitimeFebruary 21st 2020, 8:09 am by Timmi

» 2014 rzr 800 fuel pump don't come on and motor will not turn over
Buying a side by side out of state Icon_minitimeApril 10th 2019, 12:32 pm by John

» Apologies
Buying a side by side out of state Icon_minitimeJanuary 3rd 2019, 11:52 pm by Carolinarhino

» Creston Poker Run
Buying a side by side out of state Icon_minitimeOctober 10th 2018, 11:35 pm by Bubbaz

Who is online?
In total there are 49 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 49 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 650 on November 11th 2021, 8:48 am
Top posters
Bobby D
Buying a side by side out of state Vote_lcapBuying a side by side out of state Voting_barBuying a side by side out of state Vote_rcap 
bubba53
Buying a side by side out of state Vote_lcapBuying a side by side out of state Voting_barBuying a side by side out of state Vote_rcap 
rayray
WV Hot Rod Rhino
shawn
Hump
pit dog
Jet
big g
simoniz
Top posting users this month
No user
Most active topic starters
bubba53
Bobby D
WV Hot Rod Rhino
JimBob
ElmoEOD
punder
Finzup
neuromax
rayray
Steve K
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Buying a side by side out of state

Go down 
+14
Bobby D
World Class powersports
phmixson
cowboyfanVA
Randy R
opelgt73
punder
Hump
amiller
Wingman
big g
sprint8
Timmi
Ron(09rzr)
18 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Anonymous

Buying a side by side out of state Empty
PostSubject: Buying a side by side out of state   Buying a side by side out of state Icon_minitimeOctober 9th 2013, 9:15 pm

I was wondering What the law was as far as taxes goes when u buy a new machine out of state?

Of course I would want to do the right thing but does the dealer charge an NC tax or do you just take the machine not paying taxes and wait for a tax bill from the state?

I was just wondering how it works. Thanks in advance.
Back to top Go down
Ron(09rzr)

Number of posts : 1149
Registration date : 2011-03-09

PostSubject: Re: Buying a side by side out of state   Buying a side by side out of state Icon_minitimeOctober 9th 2013, 9:26 pm

When i bought both my rzrs they come from ohio....the tax was figured in at the parate of .06.....the dealer wrote me a check for the tax and then i took my paper work to notery here in pa to register my rzrs in pa( supposed to have a plate on them here if you use them off of your property or something like that) i would pay my tax and recieve a reg. Card and plate in the mail month later....basically here it is kind of like buying a car out of state...
Back to top Go down
Timmi

Timmi

Number of posts : 1623
Registration date : 2012-11-25

PostSubject: Re: Buying a side by side out of state   Buying a side by side out of state Icon_minitimeOctober 9th 2013, 9:30 pm

Lee Norman has been talking about this He lives in NC and wants to buy a atv in WV.
I bought my 570 in WV and paid only a $60 Va title fee. Not sure about NC sorry.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jbshotrodperformance.com/
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Buying a side by side out of state   Buying a side by side out of state Icon_minitimeOctober 9th 2013, 9:38 pm

Yea here in nc, I have no idea how it works buying out of nc and bringing it here. I have heard some night mares on this issue
Back to top Go down
sprint8

Number of posts : 147
Registration date : 2012-09-12

PostSubject: Re: Buying a side by side out of state   Buying a side by side out of state Icon_minitimeOctober 9th 2013, 9:42 pm

I live in VA and bought my newest atv in WV.  I paid the title fee at the dealer.

When you file your state income taxes there is a part about out of state purchases and asks you to pay up the sales tax there.  I paid it since I figured since it is titled they know I bought it.  Don't know if they will come after you if you don't pay it.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Buying a side by side out of state   Buying a side by side out of state Icon_minitimeOctober 9th 2013, 9:45 pm

I read That they will come after u after the dealer files the warranty card.
Back to top Go down
big g

big g

Number of posts : 3689
Registration date : 2010-02-04

PostSubject: Re: Buying a side by side out of state   Buying a side by side out of state Icon_minitimeOctober 9th 2013, 9:46 pm

i have bought a lot of 4-wheelers and off road bikes out of state and paid there sales tax but north carolina wants the difference in the tax paid nc tax is 6.75% they have got me a bunch of times had to pay the difference in the tax plus interest and penaltys and thats sucks i will have to pay the 6.75% tax on the wildcat i got in wva
Back to top Go down
big g

big g

Number of posts : 3689
Registration date : 2010-02-04

PostSubject: Re: Buying a side by side out of state   Buying a side by side out of state Icon_minitimeOctober 9th 2013, 9:48 pm

differant states trade tax info and thats how they get u
Back to top Go down
Ron(09rzr)

Number of posts : 1149
Registration date : 2011-03-09

PostSubject: Re: Buying a side by side out of state   Buying a side by side out of state Icon_minitimeOctober 9th 2013, 10:08 pm

I didnt have to pay any ohio tax
Back to top Go down
Wingman

Number of posts : 225
Registration date : 2009-02-18

PostSubject: Re: Buying a side by side out of state   Buying a side by side out of state Icon_minitimeOctober 9th 2013, 11:02 pm

This is the little bit I know from what took place with our purchase. We live in NC and have another place in Va. We purchased the Rhino in Va and payed the fees that Va requires and we listed the Va. address as the location of storage. The purchase was made in 06. Two years after the purchase we received a nice official looking letter from the NC Department of Revenue. It was a bill for $2,200.00!! This was for tax owed on the purchase, penalty for failure to pay the tax and a I think they also called it a civil penalty that was compounded because two years had passed. We were given 10 days to pay the best I remember!!

I called the phone number and the lady that answered knew before she said hello that I was a criminal. I explained the sale, that we had paid the Va. fees including title fee. She wanted copies of everything including proof of ownership of the house in Va. I did all that and was told to wait for notification by mail of the states decision. Almost a year goes by and I get a certified letter from the NCDOR for no payment again. This time with talk of court and jail and surrendering the vehicle from unpaid taxes.  Another phone call was made, same paperwork requested and to this day I have not heard or seen anything from the state since the last phone call.

About 2 weeks ago I get a letter from my insurance company saying my policy is being canceled because the State has notified them that the Rhino is not being stored at our primary residence. I guess the policy list it as being stored in NC. The Rhino is seven years old!!

My suggestion to the OP is don't take anyones word on a forum or a sales person at the dealership as to what is the right thing to do. I would call the NCDOR and ask, get the person's name, maybe even try to follow up with a email so you have it documented. I have not paid anything to NC and if they cancel my insurance .... I will call a Democrat, they seem to be hell bent on insurance these days!!
Back to top Go down
amiller

amiller

Number of posts : 277
Registration date : 2011-07-20

PostSubject: Re: Buying a side by side out of state   Buying a side by side out of state Icon_minitimeOctober 9th 2013, 11:25 pm

why cant you buy out of state and bring it home???????

who cares if they are registered, especially if you live in NC and ride in WV..  you cant get a tag for them and don't even need one..

If I decided to buy one and had the time, I would go out of state, buy it, and haul it home.. it is no different than a lawn mower to me.... (ITS JUST A DAMN BIG FOURWHEELER)  !!!!!!!!!!!!!

DISCLAIMER: THIS INFO PROVIDED BY A REDNECK THAT DOESNT AGREE WITH GOVERNMENT PRACTICES.
Back to top Go down
http://www.millerlandscaping.net
amiller

amiller

Number of posts : 277
Registration date : 2011-07-20

PostSubject: Re: Buying a side by side out of state   Buying a side by side out of state Icon_minitimeOctober 9th 2013, 11:29 pm

I THINK THE LAWS HAVE CHANGED THAT SAYS YOU HAVE TO PAY TAXES EVEN ON ONLINE PURCHASES.. ALL THIS IS IN LIMBO RIGHT NOW SO IF YOU GO OUT OF STATE AND BUY A MACHINE, YOU WOULD HAVE TO PAY THEIR TAXES AND THEIR RATE.
Back to top Go down
http://www.millerlandscaping.net
Wingman

Number of posts : 225
Registration date : 2009-02-18

PostSubject: Re: Buying a side by side out of state   Buying a side by side out of state Icon_minitimeOctober 9th 2013, 11:32 pm

It is fine to buy out of state and bring it back home to NC. You will need to show proof of purchase and pay the appropriate tax to NC on that purchase!!
Back to top Go down
Hump

Number of posts : 4683
Registration date : 2009-03-08

PostSubject: Re: Buying a side by side out of state   Buying a side by side out of state Icon_minitimeOctober 10th 2013, 1:12 am

Wingman wrote:
It is fine to buy out of state and bring it back home to NC. You will need to show proof of purchase and pay the appropriate tax to NC on that purchase!!
That's how it works if you live in WV.  I bought the rzr I used to own in VA paid no Va tax at all.  They gave me the paperwork to take to DMV to register and pay WV sales tax.  Have never had VA contact me wanting tax money yet.  Same as buying a car.  Just got a car there also, same deal.

May be a diferent story in NC. IDK.  I think the bottom line is you will pay tax on that purchase in your home state reguardless of where you buy it.
Back to top Go down
punder

punder

Number of posts : 1849
Registration date : 2009-02-22

PostSubject: Re: Buying a side by side out of state   Buying a side by side out of state Icon_minitimeOctober 10th 2013, 6:43 am

Pay your taxes T-bone ... seems like I remember NC pressuring the Dealership in Rock Hill SC to turn over all its documents for NC owners to avoid going to jail for tax evasion . The only true way is to buy used , pay cash , and sign nothing. Buddy of mine is a truck driver , he said that States are fighting over miles driven on there roads , so a Truck based out of NC travels to SC and fuels ( because its cheaper ) then returns to NC , NC is wanting to be paid for the use of its roads because road tax was avoided by buying fuel in SC ( this is just a example that he told me ) . Seems like this is why we got on them three ships and left the Queens and Kings to come to America was to avoid taxation like this ...
Back to top Go down
opelgt73

Number of posts : 101
Registration date : 2011-06-13

PostSubject: Re: Buying a side by side out of state   Buying a side by side out of state Icon_minitimeOctober 10th 2013, 7:26 am

A buddy of mine bought a 4 wheeler in VA and lives in NC about 2 years later he got a letter to pay taxes in NC with interest. If you did want to take a chance go to NH where there is no sales tax but they will still probably catch up with you.
Back to top Go down
Randy R

Randy R

Number of posts : 775
Registration date : 2009-02-14

PostSubject: Re: Buying a side by side out of state   Buying a side by side out of state Icon_minitimeOctober 10th 2013, 8:06 am

Buy Used and pay cash.  No worries.  New you just pay NC the tax on the purchase - no matter where you purchased.
Back to top Go down
punder

punder

Number of posts : 1849
Registration date : 2009-02-22

PostSubject: Re: Buying a side by side out of state   Buying a side by side out of state Icon_minitimeOctober 10th 2013, 8:40 am

Randy , was it Bob or you that went to Rock Hill and got hit with the tax bill ?
Back to top Go down
Timmi

Timmi

PostSubject: Re: Buying a side by side out of state   Buying a side by side out of state Icon_minitimeOctober 10th 2013, 8:54 am

sprint8 wrote:
I live in VA and bought my newest atv in WV.  I paid the title fee at the dealer.

When you file your state income taxes there is a part about out of state purchases and asks you to pay up the sales tax there.  I paid it since I figured since it is titled they know I bought it.  Don't know if they will come after you if you don't pay it.
I need to find out about this. I had not heard this before. The comments on here show how dissatisfied most of us are with our government's greed.
Back to top Go down
cowboyfanVA

cowboyfanVA

Number of posts : 214
Registration date : 2012-10-30

PostSubject: Re: Buying a side by side out of state   Buying a side by side out of state Icon_minitimeOctober 10th 2013, 11:24 am

Interesting!! I bought my Rzr in NC back in May and I live in VA. Not really sure what I'm suppose to do Buying a side by side out of state 387450  I do know I didn't pay any NC sales tax when I bought it.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Buying a side by side out of state   Buying a side by side out of state Icon_minitimeOctober 10th 2013, 11:35 am

Well we talked about this a year or two ago and the only reason I may go out of state is due to availability.
I just want to do whats right and know before hand wether I buy this particular machine or not. It seems there has always been alot of confusion and the end result is NC showing up wanting their tax money and fining you. 
I know its not illegal or wrong to buy out of state but there must be a procedure to follow in order to do it.
Back to top Go down
phmixson

phmixson

Number of posts : 1337
Registration date : 2011-02-14

PostSubject: Re: Buying a side by side out of state   Buying a side by side out of state Icon_minitimeOctober 10th 2013, 12:36 pm

i bought from ohio and didnt pay taxes till i wanted to sell and had to get a wv title
Back to top Go down
World Class powersports

World Class powersports

Number of posts : 231
Registration date : 2010-11-23

PostSubject: Re: Buying a side by side out of state   Buying a side by side out of state Icon_minitimeOctober 10th 2013, 1:07 pm

IF YOU LIVE IN NC YOU WILL PAY NC TAXES HERE IN HIGH POINT IT IS 6.75% AND AFTER THE JAN.1ST THERE WILL BE A 4.75% TAX ON ALL FEES, WARRANTY, SERVICE CON. ECT........
Back to top Go down
http://www.worldclasspowersports.com
Timmi

Timmi

PostSubject: Re: Buying a side by side out of state   Buying a side by side out of state Icon_minitimeOctober 10th 2013, 1:46 pm

a tax on a fee? wow, it's getting crazier by the day!
Back to top Go down
Bobby D

Bobby D

Number of posts : 14579
Registration date : 2009-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Buying a side by side out of state   Buying a side by side out of state Icon_minitimeOctober 10th 2013, 2:06 pm

cowboyfanVA wrote:
Interesting!! I bought my Rzr in NC back in May and I live in VA. Not really sure what I'm suppose to do Buying a side by side out of state 387450  I do know I didn't pay any NC sales tax when I bought it.
Don't do anything unless you get a bill which you may never get.
Back to top Go down
http://www.wvsxsriders.com
World Class powersports

World Class powersports

Number of posts : 231
Registration date : 2010-11-23

PostSubject: Re: Buying a side by side out of state   Buying a side by side out of state Icon_minitimeOctober 10th 2013, 2:09 pm

THAT'S WHAT I SAID WHEN WE FOUND OUT BUT WHAT CAN YOU DO THERE GOING TO MAKE TO WARE YOU ARE PAYING JUST AS MUCH IN TAX AS THE UNIT IS.
Back to top Go down
http://www.worldclasspowersports.com
T Wood

Number of posts : 1313
Registration date : 2013-07-10

PostSubject: Re: Buying a side by side out of state   Buying a side by side out of state Icon_minitimeOctober 10th 2013, 6:56 pm

I have bought 3 from NC. and never got a bill I just looked at it like a couple free trips to WV.' it is not like VA.is trying to make a place for us to ride.
Back to top Go down
Rick S

Rick S

Number of posts : 2791
Registration date : 2012-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Buying a side by side out of state   Buying a side by side out of state Icon_minitimeOctober 10th 2013, 7:07 pm

Good Post
Back to top Go down
groundhog

groundhog

Number of posts : 1005
Registration date : 2011-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Buying a side by side out of state   Buying a side by side out of state Icon_minitimeOctober 10th 2013, 8:32 pm

Don't know why anybody would register a sxs or atv.  NC sucks.  I guess they need the money to pay for all those social services they got.  You know free stuff, for those who don't work.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Buying a side by side out of state   Buying a side by side out of state Icon_minitimeOctober 10th 2013, 9:21 pm

Groundhog for President!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Buying a side by side out of state   Buying a side by side out of state Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Buying a side by side out of state
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next