Groundhog hunting Eightgroundhog Usually go groundhoggin three or four times a month. Held off this summer because of the high gas prices. Couldn't stand it anymore and decided to get some shooting in before they went into hibernation. Shot this hay field last summer and got a couple. Didn't expect much. Backed into the high grass at the edge of the field and went prone. Just the gun sticking out.
Was there for about a half hour when all [beeep] broke loose. Them groundhog must have some kind of underground communication. They all started coming out at once. Shot the first one at 250 yards straight out. Froze in place and waited. A minute later two came out to my left 40 yards away. Swung the gun around and shot the first one. The other one ran to his hole and posed. Shot him. A few minutes later one stood up at 300 yards. Shot him. Was congratulating myself on my fine shooting when I spotted a head sticking up. He was watching me. I ranged him at 250 yards. I waited ten minutes for him to come out but he was being cagey. Decided to take the head shot. Shot high, saw the bullet kick up dust way behind him. He didn't move. I figured I would wait some more. Saw some other groundhogs and shot them. Finally the cagey one came all the way out. Ranged him again. He was only two hundred yards out. Nailed him. Was there for an hour and a half and shot ten groundhogs from the same spot. I believe they were in a feeding frenzy or something getting ready for winter. Seemed to ignore me. They were all big and fat. Decided to carry them back and take a pic. After rounding up eight groundhog from as far away as 300 yards I was tired. Wasn't sure where the other ones were anyway. Gas prices are down. I don't feel guilty about hitting the road with my rifle and the wife doesn't mind. I got two or three weeks. Them groundhog are in trouble.

6mm br,75 vmax, Hart barrell, Mcmillan stock, Sako action, Canjar set trigger, Leupold 8.5x25, Swarvo range finder, Harris Bi-pod.

PS. Got three deer with this gun yesterday evening (crop damage permit).