WV SXS RIDERS / WVTRAILRIDERS.COM
Thanks for visiting us! Check out our forum here and on HotRodForums.net. Visit us on www.JBSPerformance.com for ultimate performance parts and accessories for your SXS !!
Thanks for visiting us! Check out our forum here and on HotRodForums.net. Visit us on www.JBSPerformance.com for ultimate performance parts and accessories for your SXS !!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

wv trail riding on side by sides

HomeBannerLatest imagesRegisterLog inVideos
Weird noise from the engine/trans area 2010WVSXSRIDERSSpringRide133
Weird noise from the engine/trans area 2010WVSXSRIDERSSpringRide131
Weird noise from the engine/trans area 2010WVSXSRIDERSSpringRide136
Weird noise from the engine/trans area 2010WVSXSRIDERSSpringRide140
Weird noise from the engine/trans area 2010WVSXSRIDERSSpringRide148
Weird noise from the engine/trans area 2010WVSXSRIDERSSpringRide121
Weird noise from the engine/trans area 2010WVSXSRIDERSSpringRide161
Weird noise from the engine/trans area 2010WVSXSRIDERSSpringRide186
Weird noise from the engine/trans area 2010WVSXSRIDERSSpringRide190
Weird noise from the engine/trans area 2010WVSXSRIDERSSpringRide126
Weird noise from the engine/trans area 2010WVSXSRIDERSSpringRide194
Weird noise from the engine/trans area 2010WVSXSRIDERSSpringRide195
Weird noise from the engine/trans area 2010WVSXSRIDERSSpringRide197
Weird noise from the engine/trans area 2010WVSXSRIDERSSpringRide217
Weird noise from the engine/trans area 2010WVSXSRIDERSSpringRide221
Weird noise from the engine/trans area 2010WVSXSRIDERSSpringRide229
Weird noise from the engine/trans area 2010WVSXSRIDERSSpringRide234
Weird noise from the engine/trans area 2010WVSXSRIDERSSpringRide253
Weird noise from the engine/trans area 2010WVSXSRIDERSSpringRide256
Weird noise from the engine/trans area 2010WVSXSRIDERSSpringRide258
Weird noise from the engine/trans area 2010WVSXSRIDERSSpringRide276
Weird noise from the engine/trans area 2010WVSXSRIDERSSpringRide280
Weird noise from the engine/trans area 2010WVSXSRIDERSSpringRide287
Weird noise from the engine/trans area 2010WVSXSRIDERSSpringRide159
Weird noise from the engine/trans area 2010WVSXSRIDERSSpringRide293
Weird noise from the engine/trans area 2010WVSXSRIDERSSpringRide299
Weird noise from the engine/trans area 2010WVSXSRIDERSSpringRide305
Weird noise from the engine/trans area 2010WVSXSRIDERSSpringRide315
Weird noise from the engine/trans area SpringRider10007
Weird noise from the engine/trans area SpringRider10010
Weird noise from the engine/trans area SpringRider10018
Weird noise from the engine/trans area SpringRider10011
Weird noise from the engine/trans area SpringRider10030
Weird noise from the engine/trans area SpringRider10036
Weird noise from the engine/trans area SpringRider10055
Weird noise from the engine/trans area 2010WVSXSRIDERSSpringRide119
Weird noise from the engine/trans area SpringRider10057

Weird noise from the engine/trans area 100_3508
Weird noise from the engine/trans area 100_3512
Weird noise from the engine/trans area 100_3524
Weird noise from the engine/trans area 100_3525
Weird noise from the engine/trans area 100_3528
Weird noise from the engine/trans area 100_3572
Weird noise from the engine/trans area 100_3554
Weird noise from the engine/trans area 100_3538
Weird noise from the engine/trans area 100_3534

Weird noise from the engine/trans area 106_6005-vi
Weird noise from the engine/trans area 106_6098-vi
Weird noise from the engine/trans area Dscf1320
Weird noise from the engine/trans area Dscf1321
Weird noise from the engine/trans area Dscf1322
Weird noise from the engine/trans area Springride2010004
Weird noise from the engine/trans area Springride2010005
Weird noise from the engine/trans area Springride2010006
Weird noise from the engine/trans area Springride2010008
Weird noise from the engine/trans area Springride2010013
Weird noise from the engine/trans area Springride2010020
Weird noise from the engine/trans area Springride2010021
Weird noise from the engine/trans area Springride2010022
Weird noise from the engine/trans area Springride2010026
Weird noise from the engine/trans area Springride2010030
Weird noise from the engine/trans area Springride2010031

Weird noise from the engine/trans area Springride2010049

Weird noise from the engine/trans area NewYears201012-31-09037

Weird noise from the engine/trans area Springride2010032

Latest topics
» Happy Thanksgiving
Weird noise from the engine/trans area Icon_minitimeOctober 9th 2021, 9:07 pm by Timmi

» 2020 JBS Fall Ride
Weird noise from the engine/trans area Icon_minitimeSeptember 27th 2020, 11:26 am by Timmi

» 5 points/ Wallace wv
Weird noise from the engine/trans area Icon_minitimeJuly 14th 2020, 9:22 am by Timmi

» Wildcat
Weird noise from the engine/trans area Icon_minitimeMay 10th 2020, 6:29 pm by Timmi

» Released a new WV ATV Trails Map
Weird noise from the engine/trans area Icon_minitimeApril 13th 2020, 1:59 pm by richrzr714

» 2019 JBS Spring Ride
Weird noise from the engine/trans area Icon_minitimeFebruary 21st 2020, 8:09 am by Timmi

» 2014 rzr 800 fuel pump don't come on and motor will not turn over
Weird noise from the engine/trans area Icon_minitimeApril 10th 2019, 12:32 pm by John

» Apologies
Weird noise from the engine/trans area Icon_minitimeJanuary 3rd 2019, 11:52 pm by Carolinarhino

» Creston Poker Run
Weird noise from the engine/trans area Icon_minitimeOctober 10th 2018, 11:35 pm by Bubbaz

Who is online?
In total there are 23 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 23 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 650 on November 11th 2021, 8:48 am
Top posters
Bobby D
Weird noise from the engine/trans area Vote_lcapWeird noise from the engine/trans area Voting_barWeird noise from the engine/trans area Vote_rcap 
bubba53
Weird noise from the engine/trans area Vote_lcapWeird noise from the engine/trans area Voting_barWeird noise from the engine/trans area Vote_rcap 
rayray
WV Hot Rod Rhino
shawn
Hump
pit dog
Jet
big g
simoniz
Top posting users this month
No user
Most active topic starters
bubba53
Bobby D
WV Hot Rod Rhino
JimBob
ElmoEOD
punder
Finzup
neuromax
rayray
Steve K
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Weird noise from the engine/trans area

Go down 
+4
Purn1973
Gadget
ElmoEOD
Hump
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Hump

Number of posts : 4683
Registration date : 2009-03-08

Weird noise from the engine/trans area Empty
PostSubject: Weird noise from the engine/trans area   Weird noise from the engine/trans area Icon_minitimeMarch 24th 2012, 1:02 am

I got this noise comming from underneath in the back somewhere. It's a ringing type noise that sounds like bolts loose in something. It has gotten worse over time. I thought it was the driveshaft at 1st, but it does it setting still, and gets worse when you rev the engine. I can feel a vibration with the noise when I rev it up setting still. I can't find anything loose, but maybe I'm overlooking something.

Anyone have this problem? Is it a common noise that just happens after some mileage? In a way, it seems that it could be cvt related.

I really don't want to break down on the trail. Weird noise from the engine/trans area 59282
Back to top Go down
ElmoEOD

ElmoEOD

Number of posts : 1954
Registration date : 2011-06-25

PostSubject: Re: Weird noise from the engine/trans area   Weird noise from the engine/trans area Icon_minitimeMarch 24th 2012, 1:55 am

really glad you didn't say "Weird noise from the rear end" would have been a long conversation... lol! ROFL ROFL with no answers.. like this one
Back to top Go down
Gadget

Gadget

Number of posts : 1464
Registration date : 2009-05-07

PostSubject: Re: Weird noise from the engine/trans area   Weird noise from the engine/trans area Icon_minitimeMarch 24th 2012, 8:09 am

check your brake pads or your exhast connections
Back to top Go down
Purn1973

Purn1973

Number of posts : 712
Registration date : 2009-05-31

PostSubject: Re: Weird noise from the engine/trans area   Weird noise from the engine/trans area Icon_minitimeMarch 24th 2012, 8:52 am

Take a few minutes and pop the CVT cover off, sounds like you may have a belt starting to come apart. I had a beveled spot on a belt that made similar noises last year, drove me half nuts trying to figure out what it was. Good luck!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Purn1973
Hump

PostSubject: Re: Weird noise from the engine/trans area   Weird noise from the engine/trans area Icon_minitimeMarch 24th 2012, 12:29 pm

I may need both brakes and a belt. I haven't put either one on it yet. I got 2100 miles now, and I did notice last night that it the belt don't stay engaged at as low of a speed going down hill as it used to. Takes off a little different too. It does sound like it's comming from the belt area.
Back to top Go down
Purn1973

Purn1973

Number of posts : 712
Registration date : 2009-05-31

PostSubject: Re: Weird noise from the engine/trans area   Weird noise from the engine/trans area Icon_minitimeMarch 24th 2012, 12:38 pm

Hump wrote:
I may need both brakes and a belt. I haven't put either one on it yet. I got 2100 miles now, and I did notice last night that it the belt don't stay engaged at as low of a speed going down hill as it used to. Takes off a little different too. It does sound like it's comming from the belt area.

Regardless, if it were me I'd change the belt. 2100 miles is pushing it for one belt IMO. Hopefully that will take care of the problem.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Purn1973
punder

punder

Number of posts : 1849
Registration date : 2009-02-22

PostSubject: Re: Weird noise from the engine/trans area   Weird noise from the engine/trans area Icon_minitimeMarch 24th 2012, 2:10 pm

Nope , sounds like a one way bearing ... if it is pulling at idle or lower RPM's , take the cover off and see if it turns free and locks the other way it will sometimes sound llike a chirping should , or squeal like metal scrapping together , if it drags then replace it ... I can tell you that it acts up a few times before it fails .. , while you have it apart clean your sheaves and replace the belt ... if the old belt is still solid with no cracks or waves keep it as a spare ... A Bad belt shows its self as a shake in take off , if it is not smooth then the belt is going bad , and can go bad for a while ...
Back to top Go down
rayray
rayray

Number of posts : 6335
Registration date : 2010-08-15

PostSubject: Re: Weird noise from the engine/trans area   Weird noise from the engine/trans area Icon_minitimeMarch 24th 2012, 2:49 pm

Hump... World class in High Point sold me a belt for around 45 dollars shipped to me door....ya can't beat that. Purn is right...that's a lot of miles on a belt.
Back to top Go down
Hump

PostSubject: Re: Weird noise from the engine/trans area   Weird noise from the engine/trans area Icon_minitimeMarch 24th 2012, 9:35 pm

Punder, where at in there is the one way bearing? What am I turning to see if it's bad? Are you saying it should lock up one way, and spin free in the other dirrection if it is good? It is making sounds as you described.
Back to top Go down
Hump

PostSubject: Re: Weird noise from the engine/trans area   Weird noise from the engine/trans area Icon_minitimeMarch 24th 2012, 9:47 pm

Punder, I bet you are right on this. Yesterday it took a little fit on me for a minute. acted like it didn't want to run at low rpms as if it was having a fuel/ignition problem, and it lugged all the way down to 700 rpms and would have died if I didn't keep my foot on the gas. I also had to keep my foot on the brake to keep from moving. I shut it off, and started back up and no problems.
Back to top Go down
pit dog

pit dog

Number of posts : 4423
Registration date : 2010-01-28

PostSubject: Re: Weird noise from the engine/trans area   Weird noise from the engine/trans area Icon_minitimeMarch 24th 2012, 10:44 pm

Hump had to put one on my sportsman last week. Started making squeaking sound and rattle. For about a month then would not disengage or shift out of gear.Amanda but it with both washers on my door for 120 I thank. Had to have puller and a tool to hold it with. Took it by sealer ,old boy done it for me.
Back to top Go down
punder

punder

PostSubject: Re: Weird noise from the engine/trans area   Weird noise from the engine/trans area Icon_minitimeMarch 25th 2012, 1:55 am

https://2img.net/h/i390.photobucket.com/albums/oo344/1giffin/POV%20CAM/IMG_1746.jpg

This is a one way bearing , it is in the bottom of the sheaves , it should turn freely one way but not the other, at idle you belt is low in the sheaves and contacting the one way bearing so when it fails it will take off just like you are on the gas , so best not to leave a polaris running in gear , neutral or park only .. Super Dave said he had some luck cleaning it and getting it to work in his , but seems like in the end he had to replace it .. I suggest cleaning you sheaves while you are there and have them apart ... Cleaning the sheaves consists or a scotch brite and elbow grease , no straight rubs only circles , clean with water and soap , not tryin to remove material just degloss them where the belt burmishes it ... Also remember new belt to wash it in dish detergent to get fine oils off and put on so you can read the writing ... Now how to get it out , the last one I had go bad was in a sportman and the dealer fixed ... It it goes bad on the trail you have to shut it off to stop and crank it in gear to move to get back to camp ...
Back to top Go down
punder

punder

PostSubject: Re: Weird noise from the engine/trans area   Weird noise from the engine/trans area Icon_minitimeMarch 25th 2012, 1:59 am

Hump wrote:
Punder, I bet you are right on this. Yesterday it took a little fit on me for a minute. acted like it didn't want to run at low rpms as if it was having a fuel/ignition problem, and it lugged all the way down to 700 rpms and would have died if I didn't keep my foot on the gas. I also had to keep my foot on the brake to keep from moving. I shut it off, and started back up and no problems.

Is it stiff going into gear , or harder than it used to be , then the belt is moving slightly , when it goes bad it will scare the hell out of ya , it took me a second to remember where the switch was cause the brakes will not stop it completely , especialy if it is in low ...
Back to top Go down
Hump

PostSubject: Re: Weird noise from the engine/trans area   Weird noise from the engine/trans area Icon_minitimeMarch 25th 2012, 2:21 am

punder wrote:
Hump wrote:

Is it stiff going into gear , or harder than it used to be , then the belt is moving slightly , when it goes bad it will scare the hell out of ya , it took me a second to remember where the switch was cause the brakes will not stop it completely , especialy if it is in low ...

No, it didn't act anything like that, just kinda wanted to die on me. It's super easy to shift, but when it took that little fit on me, it wouldn't hardly shift at all. I shut the engine down, started back up, and all was good. Still made the rattle noise though. It has been free wheeling going down a hill at much higher speeds than ever before, so I know a worn belt is to blame for that. I may need to replace both.
Back to top Go down
Hump

PostSubject: Re: Weird noise from the engine/trans area   Weird noise from the engine/trans area Icon_minitimeMarch 25th 2012, 2:28 am

Now that I think of it, maybe my stalling issue had nothing to do with the bearing because it was running rough and not wanting to idle in park also.

Maybe I need a belt, bearing, spark plugs, and/or a new fuel pump.

I hope Tbone doesn't see this.Weird noise from the engine/trans area 861578
Back to top Go down
Hump

PostSubject: Re: Weird noise from the engine/trans area   Weird noise from the engine/trans area Icon_minitimeMarch 25th 2012, 1:20 pm

Everything looks like new. I am going to replace the belt. The bearing between the sheaves spins free with no roughness or anything. The squeek is comming from between the outermost end of the shaft where the bolt is and the outer clutch basket when it just starts to compress while hitting the gas.

Can I put a very light skim of grease on this?
Back to top Go down
Thunter

Thunter

Number of posts : 1339
Registration date : 2009-09-10

PostSubject: Re: Weird noise from the engine/trans area   Weird noise from the engine/trans area Icon_minitimeMarch 25th 2012, 1:32 pm

I wouldn't put any grease in there Hump. I don't know if you could use something like WD40 and let it evaporate good before putting the belt back in. I don't know maybe one of the more mechanical geniuses will have a better idea.
Back to top Go down
punder

punder

PostSubject: Re: Weird noise from the engine/trans area   Weird noise from the engine/trans area Icon_minitimeMarch 25th 2012, 1:53 pm

Thinking ... Try just cleaning the clutch , soap and water , it could just be dirty from dust or belt pieces ... Is the inside of belt box full of black dust .. if so then its the same in the clutch ... There is a tool to remove the clutch , but so far I have not needed one , take the belt off , undo the bolt and pull the primary and put it on the bench and get a good look at it ...

If you want to disassamble to inspect ... and check spacing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4HEZkABO7Q
Back to top Go down
punder

punder

PostSubject: Re: Weird noise from the engine/trans area   Weird noise from the engine/trans area Icon_minitimeMarch 25th 2012, 1:54 pm

No grease or oil in the clutch area ....
Back to top Go down
Hump

PostSubject: Re: Weird noise from the engine/trans area   Weird noise from the engine/trans area Icon_minitimeMarch 25th 2012, 3:32 pm

It's very clean inside. No black dust, no dirt, nothing. I'm gonna drive it like I stole it, but go ahead and get a new belt. I had two seperate noises. I found that the driveshaft was making the rattling noise. I took the passenger seat out, revved it up, and grabbed the driveshaft and it stopped making noise.

I need to just turn up the stereo. One trip down the road without it, and I have all kinds of noises. lol! Thanks for your help punder, now I know more about what to watch out for.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Weird noise from the engine/trans area   Weird noise from the engine/trans area Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Weird noise from the engine/trans area
Page 1 of 1